• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

contact lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobbz

Final Select NFO
I was just perusing the OCS website. The site says that contact lenses are not allowed to be worn for the duration of OCS, except during some high risk exercises. Can anyone lend some personal expertise to this? Do they really care so much? Thanks.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
You'll be able to wear your contacts when you're on liberty or when you're candio. I don't know if the risk/reward is worth wearing them during other parts of training.

hobbz

Final Select NFO
What's candio?

Also, I can understand the risks of wearing hard contact lenses during training, but I've done some pretty intense things while wearing my soft contacts without any trouble whatsoever. The only problem I can see is swimming in them, as they come out very easily if eyes are opened underwater. Then again, I haven't been through OCS yet. :)

Thanks for the info.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
candio = Candidate Officer, last 2 weeks of OCS

By risk I don't mean physical risks to you, I mean getting in trouble. Contacts aren't authorized in a boot camp environment. Some people in my class wore them after dinner around the spaces, but really, what's the point of that?

hobbz

Final Select NFO
They're much more comfortable than glasses (and give you full field of corrected vision instead of just the middle). I can't tell they're there, but with glasses the constant weight on the face gets annoying. I can understand wearing contacts whenever possible.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I know, I wore contacts too. The downside is when you're nearing the 12-hour mark and they start to dry out.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Anyone try those contacts you can wear up to a month?

If OCS is anything like boot was for my roommate, he said he didn't see his DIs until after he was medically cleared... he didn't wear his glasses at all during Marine Boot; and the DIs were never the wiser.

cjimenez

I knew a buddy of mine who decided to wear his contacts during drill practice. It doesn't take a genius for a DI to notice you wearing glasses for 6 weeks and then NOT wearing them. That little incident cost ALL of us a lot of pain on a hot afternoon, and my friend got his contacts confiscated. If you get accepted to OCS and move along in training, you'll notice the different ways in which guys try to "game" the system. Contacts are NOT authorized except during Candidate Officer phase.

EngineGirl

Sleepy Head
I wear the contacts that you can wear for up to 30 days and nights. There very, very comfortable and I haven't had any problems with them at all. In fact, I forget that I'm wearing them because unlike other contacts I've worn, they don't dry out or start to itch. At OCS though, I'm just going to wear my glasses (even though I hate wearing glasses; I haven't worn them since 6th grade). I'd rather not risk gettting in trouble for something as petty as contacts.

Good luck!!!

johnmyson

OC Radioactive Man
"...bring a pair of glasses and a black sports strap to keep them in place"

Speaking of glasses... Does anyone know where to get a good black sports strap to hold glasses in place? I've searched a few eyewear stores and sporting-goods stores and have only found the ones that will hold your glasses around the neck.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
johnmyson said:
Speaking of glasses... Does anyone know where to get a good black sports strap to hold glasses in place? I've searched a few eyewear stores and sporting-goods stores and have only found the ones that will hold your glasses around the neck.

Don't worry about bringing them. You will have the opportunity to purchase it at the exchange the first week. Also, they prefer this, so that everyone is uniform. I bought a strap that had the adjustable part hang down around the neck, Gunny's like to tug and tighten that sh!t.

BC Glasses are not required, in fact, I didn't even get issued any. Personally, I would've rather had those ugly things to beat up during PT.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Thisguy said:
BC Glasses are not required, in fact, I didn't even get issued any. Personally, I would've rather had those ugly things to beat up during PT.

Does that mean I should go get a crappy pair? I have Nautica frames <for the few minutes a day I wear them>... I guess it wouldn't be good to beat them up.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
They don't get beat up THAT bad, but you are gonna sweat in them alot, and my paint was chipping at the end. It sounds like you have nice frames, so I'd use some BDCP money to either get a crappy pair, or you can act like you're really cool and get a pair of prescription Oakleys.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
I think I'll probably just go for one of those 2-for-1 deals and take 2 crappy pairs down to OCS... just in case something happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.