• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Congressional nomination interview

Chris94

CWO selected
I have my congressional nomination interview a little over a week from now. Any tips? What can I expect question wise?

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
The list is wide open. Ones that I remember from mine:
What do you want to do in the Navy? What if you dont get it? Why do you want to go to the Academy? What is your backup plan if you dont get in? What is the backup plan to that? What do you want to major in? Why? Jobs, sports hobbies? Anything else you may have done to make yourself competitive? What made you decide on this route?

Ventilee

pilot
Contributor
The ones I remember are: Why should we pick you? What rank will you be when you commission?(apparently a lot of people get that wrong) What kind of leadership experience do you have?

Do a lot of research into the Navy before you go and drop some of your knowledge on them; don't try and teach them about the Navy(IIRC my board was all O-4+) but show them that you have done your homework and are passionate about this whole thing.

Check out: http://www.serviceacademyforums.com/ as they have a lot of good advice on that forum as well.

Chris94

CWO selected
The ones I remember are: Why should we pick you? What rank will you be when you commission?(apparently a lot of people get that wrong) What kind of leadership experience do you have?

Do a lot of research into the Navy before you go and drop some of your knowledge on them; don't try and teach them about the Navy(IIRC my board was all O-4+) but show them that you have done your homework and are passionate about this whole thing.

Check out: http://www.serviceacademyforums.com/ as they have a lot of good advice on that forum as well.
Ok I'll be sure to do that, thanks

Chris94

CWO selected
The list is wide open. Ones that I remember from mine:
What do you want to do in the Navy? What if you dont get it? Why do you want to go to the Academy? What is your backup plan if you dont get in? What is the backup plan to that? What do you want to major in? Why? Jobs, sports hobbies? Anything else you may have done to make yourself competitive? What made you decide on this route?
Ok I gotcha

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This. I am always surprised when I interview a kid and he doesn't know some of the basics. It doesn't happen real often, but that it happens at all is a surprise. Today, with the web and tons of cable TV an applicant should be reasonably informed. I am guessing that Chris is, since he is on AW. Good decision. Best of luck Chris.

Last edited:

Chris94

CWO selected
This. I am always surprised when I interview a kid and he doesn't know some of the basics. It doesn't happen real often, but that it happens at all is a surprise. Today, with the web and tons of cable TV an applicant should be reasonably informed. I am guessing the Chris is, since he is on AW. Good decision. Best of luck Chris.
Thank you!

Chris94

CWO selected
Just in case anybody looking for info stumbles upon this, I have some advice from experiencing my interview yesterday:
Definitely know what you want to do in whatever branch you're shooting for, know about careers in the other armed forces as well, have stories about times when you had to show leadership, and finally... know the commitment that you're making. I was asked how I felt about the possibility of being KIA. I responded by saying that I didn't want to be ignorant and say I was completely prepared for that possibility, but thenI was told that there were men and women my age dying for their country. I then responded that I was prepared for the risks that come with being in the armed forces. Essentially what I'm saying is speak from the heart, but really think about the risk and if you're willing to take that risk by being in the armed forces. There were other questions about leadership, such as what I thought about leading enlisted members and how to go about leading others in general. All in all it wasn't too bad, there were 4 interviewers along with the congressman Nunes' secretary and we all sat at a table. Remember to be polite, use sir and ma'am, have a respective smile on your face, and thank them and express your pleasure to meet them at the end of the interview. Last but not least, DON'T BE TOO NERVOUS, it's not that bad! Good luck :)
Oh and thanks to everyone on this thread for their advice, it was put to good use.