• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason12

Ok just found this site and it has been really helpful. I went out already and bought both ARCO books. Now i'm a little confused as to the process of enlistment here. I went to the Navy recruiter on friday who provided me with absolutely no info. which kinda sucked. *But he's gonna have someone "call" me (I guess we'll see). My question will most likely get answered faster on here and with more detailed info as well. Anyways, I was wondering about the enlistment to OCS process. As of right now i'm a junior at the University Of Pittsburgh gettin a major in Poli. Sci (the most interesting form of science
crazy_125.gif
) But how do i start the process to get to OCS thats what i'm wondering i've read a ton of posts dealing with the post-acception process but i'm still unsure of how i go about applying and all that fun stuff. Also i only briefly heard mention of a guaranteed flight contract, i guess similar to the Ranger contract in the Army? (Am I right) and lastly will me having a Private Pilots license help out...I mean io'm not lookin to get into flight school strictly based on flyin somethin small but will it help at all and is it worth spendin all the money or should i just stick with recreational flying? I mean i love to fly and i'm not downing anyone with the PP license just that the money is an issue and if i'm gonna spend 3000+ i wanna make sure it can be fun...but also help out in the long run
Any help you guys could offer would be great!!!!
Thanks so much

"3 types of men...1.those who learn by reading...2.those who learn by observation...3.those who just have to pee on the electrical fence for themselves."

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
First of all find a Navy Officer recruiter. The enlisted guys cant help you at all. The Officer recruiter will get you started with the application, ASTB, physical and PRT. This is your package. You will put down your top 3 choices for jobs in the Navy (SNA,SNFO,SWO,SPECWAR, etc..) Your package then goes off to Millington TN to each of the 3 communities that you select. They will rate your package on there needs and other packages and then select you or not. I dont know if a PP will help in that process. However, if you are picked up for a SNA (aviator) slot, you will get 25 hours of flight time after ocs and before you start flight school. THis helps some. Here at the squadrons you can tell the guys with prior flight time. It def. helps. So if you have the time and money go for it. If not the dont get yourself into alot of debt over it. I had 0 flight time before showing up and I'm doing extremely well. Hope this helps. Look around this forum at some older posts. It will give you alot of the info you are looking for.

Dave

jason12

Hey thanks a lot Dave I had no idea there even was a separate recruiter for OCS. I guess I'll have to start callin around to see. Although the recruiter i went to did say he'd have "the guy who deals with that stuff" call me back so that could possibly be the right recruiter?...hopefully. Well anyways i talked it over with my mom and my school will pay half of the cost of flight training to get the PP if we pay the other half, so i guess i'm sellin my dirtbike. I can't wait though i really wanna get my license.

jason12

Oh and just one other question, I just found out that Carnegie Melon University (which is directly and literally, across the street from my School, has a NROTC program, my school only offers AROTC. But......i called Carnegie Melon's program and they say they do allow cross registration for the course...So getting into the NROTC program wouldn't be a problem whatsoever. So my question is should i go for this or finish college the traditional way and apply with only a bachelor's degree? I'm assuming NROTC would significantly raise my chances for OCS?

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
If you apply to NROTC you can get a scholarship or you can just apply for the college-program without a scholarship. To qualify for college-program after your sophomore year I think you need at least a 2.8 GPA. When you graduate you will receive a commission - no need to apply for OCS. Seeing as how OCS programs are full maybe you should consult the NROTC captain at Carnegie Mellon and ask to enroll as college-program midshipman.

jason12

virtu050...thanks a ton i didn't know all the slots were full, geez am i glad i posted my questions on here...I'm gonna give the recruiting officer at CMU a call on Tuesday and see about getting enrolled in the program, its pretty cool to know that i can be a part of the program even though i don't go to school there.
Thanks for all your help guys its greatly appreciated.
spin_125.gif

jlinscott

If you go to this site: http://www.navyjobs.com/traincareer/generalForm.jsp and fill out this info and an officer recruiter will call or email you back. The recruiter will be the nearest officer recruiter.

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
If you are a Junior in college, you might want to look into the BDCP program (that's what I am in) Talk to your nearest Recruiter Headquarters (usually where the Officer Recruiters are), and they can explain a little bit about the programs, and the requirements. Good luck though.

krtyxl

I can't speak for NROTC since I am AF, but I did a 2 year commissioning program through AFROTC and am on active duty, waiting to go to API in April. It was a great program. You may ask your NROTC guys if they have a similar program.

jason12

Just called NROTC Lieutenant and I have a meeting with him tomorrow to go over all the details, it also seems that i'm eligible for the 2-year scholarship since i'm a junior next semester and kept my grades up luckily. He alo made mention of something in the summer in Newport Rhode Island?? for 6-weeks ...sounds fun considering summers in PA just aren't all they're cracked up to be lol...Anyone got any info on what this activity is? thanks

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The training at Newport Rhode Island is called NSI or Naval Science Institute. In 6 weeks they give you all the training you need to succeed in the NROTC program. They will teach you how to wear your uniform and March and also give you the first two years of Naval Science (including Weapons, Seapower, and others). Good luck...
ea6bflyr
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by jason12
Just called NROTC Lieutenant and I have a meeting with him tomorrow to go over all the details, it also seems that i'm eligible for the 2-year scholarship since i'm a junior next semester and kept my grades up luckily. He alo made mention of something in the summer in Newport Rhode Island?? for 6-weeks ...sounds fun considering summers in PA just aren't all they're cracked up to be lol...Anyone got any info on what this activity is? thanks

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Those ECPers like me, had to go through NSI with the two year progrm NROTC kids. I recall it being 9 weeks, but that could just be my imagine, and much could have changed in 7 years... You take your four initial classes as ea6bflyr mentioned, and at the same time you get drilled by Marine DIs. Typical indoctrination type stuff, uniform preparation, marching, etc.. Plus of course the running and calesthenics each day. Was kinda hard on the DIs having 200 E5 and E6s (with a couple of E7s) to boss around. They would yell at us, but was kind of hard to take seriously when you are the same rank and have the same time in... We had the group of 2 year kids also, and we were required to bring them up to speed and mentor them. All in all, a good time at a basic "knife and fork" school. As ea6bflyr also mentioned, its main purpose is to make up for those initial two years of instruction that you missed out on in the NROTC unit, so you can get up to speed, and not be clueless in the battallion, though you have enough of those ppl wandering around anyways... Maybe NSI has changed some, but that about covers it...

Status
Not open for further replies.