• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Concerns about my resume/work experience (23/M)

Graham2017

FS SNA - OCS 6/23
I'm in the process of putting together a OCS packet to send out for the Feb 2013 board. I've only briefly spoken to my OR twice since I started preparing/studying a couple months ago (he's not the easiest man to get in contact with). Most of my knowledge of the process comes from the internet and a friend that went through OCS recently. I'm taking the ASTB at the end of this month and am studying, strength training, and finishing undergrad in the meantime.

It's been an incredibly motivating process of improving my PRT scores and ASTB sample test scores and learning the nautical/aviation info I've never come across. Becoming an officer in the navy (pilot more specifically) is a long-standing dream of mine. Beneath all of this excitement and self-motivation is this underlying apprehension going into assembling and sending off the packet. Seeing a lot of the people applying to the past boards on this site with such incredible stats / resumes / experience is somewhat disheartening. I like to think I've had a fruitful and productive college experience, but I'm not a prior enlist and I only have a few years of work experience under my belt. I suppose I'm just looking for reassurance that I can be competitive at 23 and to validate all this work I've put into preparing for the ASTB and PRT. Here's where I stand:

- 2 degrees (University of Florida)
AA Business Administration 3.44
BA Architecture 3.31 (possibly higher after the next two semesters)

- 2 years working as a rickshaw driver
- 1 year working as an intern at an architecture firm (more recent)

- All four years of architecture school, I was heavily involved in several student organizations (each listed on my resume)
- 2 years of Teaching Assistant experience for lower division design studios
- A couple design competitions won (several entries)

- Competitive cycling achievements

- Three good LORs (one professor/mentor, my architecture boss, and one family friend of stature)

I know many would frown on my lack of work experience thus far, but the fact of the matter is that I came from a privileged upbringing that under-emphasized the need for self-sufficiency before graduating college. This is something that I realized and began to resent by my sophomore year. I began working to become financially independent of my folks. Not to mention architecture school truly demands all of your attention; perhaps this made being so involved an easy task.

Let me know what you think - if I'm golden or what I can realistically start doing at this moment to improve my chances. Either way, I'm not prepared to give up a goal I outlined for myself quite some time ago. I feel like continuing to good in school is the most I can do at this point to further "pad" my resume. Obviously, nailing the ASTB is the first order of business. Would a 55+ (60+?) OAR score put me in contention for a SNA slot next year? Shoot me straight.

exNavyOffRec

The most important part of a SNA application is ASTB, specifically your PFAR, not OAR, you can have a great OAR but have a non qualifying score on the PFAR. I had many picked up with little if any work experience and just LOR's from professors so don't worry about work experience.

PRT has no bearing on selection, the board doesn't see it and you are not allowed to take it due to liability concerns.

Sonog

pilot
My most recent work experience when I applied to OCS was valet attendant and research assistant. I'm an Ensign in Pensacola now. If you have a weakness on your application just make sure you kill it in other areas. And listen to whatever NavyOffRec says.

exNavyOffRec

I meant to also say if you came to me and rec'd a good PFAR score you should have no problem getting picked up with what you have listed so far, barring any legal issues (standard disclamer)

KBayDog

PRT has no bearing on selection, the board doesn't see it and you are not allowed to take it due to liability concerns.

PRT has no bearing on SNA/SNFO selection? Or no bearing on OCS selection?

Just wondering, since I know our two services do things a wee bit differently at times. (As you well know, you could have a Blutarsky GPA in Underwater Basketweaving from EduTech Online, but you're a shoo-in for Marine OCS if you max out our PFT, have a short haircut, and are the loudest when making stupid grunting noises at anything and everything.)

exNavyOffRec

PRT has no bearing on SNA/SNFO selection? Or no bearing on OCS selection?

Just wondering, since I know our two services do things a wee bit differently at times. (As you well know, you could have a Blutarsky GPA in Underwater Basketweaving from EduTech Online, but you're a shoo-in for Marine OCS if you max out our PFT, have a short haircut, and are the loudest when making stupid grunting noises at anything and everything.)

No bearing on either we cannot administer the PRT to any applicants.

Graham2017

FS SNA - OCS 6/23
I meant to also say if you came to me and rec'd a good PFAR score you should have no problem getting picked up with what you have listed so far, barring any legal issues (standard disclamer)

Fortunately, I have a squeaky clean legal record ;). Generally speaking, is a 7+ a "good" PFAR score?

Renegade One

None
PRT has no bearing on SNA/SNFO selection? Or no bearing on OCS selection?...As you well know, you could have a Blutarsky GPA in Underwater Basketweaving from EduTech Online, but you're a shoo-in for Marine OCS if you max out our PFT, have a short haircut, and are the loudest when making stupid grunting noises at anything and everything.)

The Marines...they are a funny race. But I'm glad they're on our side.

Graham2017

FS SNA - OCS 6/23
Thanks for the gouge OffRec. I understand the importance of having a complete package, but this definitely helps me overcome the illusory problem of not having a 4.0 BS Nuclear Engineering / MS Aeronautical Engineering, PPL, E-3 prior, O-6 parents, etc. Cheers!

Renegade One

None
()A bunch of stuff: Shoot me straight.
1. Your OR is busy...be patient.
2. Your baccalaureate stats sound solid.
3. The Navy ALWAYS gives 'extra credit' for experienced rickshaw drivers...Shellback Ceremonies, liberty ports, Shore patrol, "Hinge" Wetting Down parties...you get the idea.
4. I would steer clear of the part about "a privileged upbringing that under-emphasized the need for self-sufficiency" in any essay you're asked to write.
5. You're NOT "golden"...no one is golden.
6. Nailing the ASTB?...SHACK!

Seriously, you sound like a "typically fine, qualified candidate for this business". Listen to NavyOffRec...do your best in all things, and good luck!

Graham2017

FS SNA - OCS 6/23
4. I would steer clear of the part about "a privileged upbringing that under-emphasized the need for self-sufficiency" in any essay you're asked to write.

The last thing I wanted to do is suggest that I would include any of this in my motivational statement. Honestly, I felt like a jackass even putting that into writing. It's just frustrating coming from the standpoint from someone who's been asked time and time again (in regards to my resume) "Well?! What DID you do from age 16 to 20?? Your parents didn't cut you off and force you into providing for yourself like me?" My answer is no, unfortunately. I spent those years being as good a student and designer as I could be. The gratification of self-sufficiency is something, like many other things, I had to learn myself. Some people have a hard time believing that the value of hard work isn't a virtue hand-delivered to everyone early in life.

Pardon my candor, Renegade, and thanks for your input.

Renegade One

None
The last thing I wanted to do is suggest that I would include any of this in my motivational statement. Honestly, I felt like a jackass even putting that into writing. It's just frustrating coming from the standpoint from someone who's been asked time and time again (in regards to my resume) "Well?! What DID you do from age 16 to 20?? Your parents didn't cut you off and force you into providing for yourself like me?" My answer is no, unfortunately. I spent those years being as good a student and designer as I could be. The gratification of self-sufficiency is something, like many other things, I had to learn myself. Some people have a hard time believing that the value of hard work isn't a virtue hand-delivered to everyone early in life.

Pardon my candor, Renegade, and thanks for your input.
Relax...I get it. Good student and law-abiding citizen is really all I think the Navy desires of you between the ages of 16-20. Now, if you had 23 arrests, they might want more "work history".

I think you're in very solid shape. Press on!

RiseR 25

Graham2017,

I may be coming in on this late, and Renegade has far better advice than I do. If your as experienced in architecture as disclosed, you probably have a decent level of spatial intelligence, which is a plus. Sounds like you already took the ASTB, no need to disclose scores.

Keep at it, good luck.