• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Compression Fracture of more than One Vertebrae

E6BFlightComp

This is mainly a question on opinion. Currently obtaining all the medical information for MEPS and have run into something that worries me. I know you can waiver anything and everything, but I am sweating on the statement of Not Physically Qualified (NPQ) under the Spinal Fractures condition of https://www.med.navy.mil/sites/nmotc/nami/arwg/Documents/WaiverGuide/13_Orthopedics.pdf .

(Thoracic: A three month period of grounding for a single compression fracture with less than 50% compression or a single wedge fracture with no scoliosis on AP views. At 3 months, if the patient is pain free and with no instability, a waiver will be considered for non-ejection seat aircraft only. At 12 months, waiver will be considered for ejection-seat aircraft if all of the above criteria are still met. Thoracic spine fractures with more than 50% compression, with evidence of scoliosis, or more than one compression fracture are NPQ with a waiver considered on a case by case basis.)

Long story short, I've been in competitive motocross since I was three. I also have extensive mechanical knowledge due to this and my dad being a mechanic, so all I did was work on motorcycles in my youth. When I was 19, I was fixing a friend's 125cc while I let him ride my 450cc. The great increase in power made me think I should give him my helmet and I would test ride his without a helmet on. The throttle body was a little rusted after I cleaned out his Carburetor float, but I thought nothing of it. I ended up going down the road at around 25mph when I started getting no throttle response around 3/4 power, tried ditching but hit my head on some rocks with an open skull fracture (No loss of consciousness and no concussion (Don't ask me how, I have absolutely no idea)) and two compression fractures on my T5 and T6 vertebrae. No defined percentage amount but height loss was stated as "minimal." I had cosmetic surgery for a stress rip of the skin and now have a gnarly scar on my forehead as well as a plate covering the skull fracture.

I am currently 20 and about a year and two months out of the head injury. I'm a Senior at Embry-Riddle with a 3.7 GPA. Taking ASTB in August.

I have also ruptured my spleen (Racing and my chest protector broke while crashing (Didn't require any surgery)) and a 10% collapse of the lung (Pneumothorax) that shouldn't be a problem anymore. A fractured ankle with a pin, but no disability or loss of movement that would affect me. A dislocated elbow with surgery to repair ligaments, but it is now stronger than the other arm and fully flexible.

My recruiter said that I have the most injuries he's seen in Prescott, Arizona, but not the most severe to make it through MEPs.

Basically the questions I'm asking:
  1. How liable would obtaining this waiver be?
  2. Does the NRC consider Medical or is it just a pass or fail by MEPS and the NRC just takes the suggestion?
  3. Is there anything I can do as a demonstrated ability? (Can squat twice as much now than before my accident, and have no back pain whatsoever)
  4. Even if I can't get Ejection Seat approved would I still be able to fly Cargo?

Last edited:

RecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
This is mainly a question on opinion. Currently obtaining all the medical information for MEPS and have run into something that worries me. I know you can waiver anything and everything, but I am sweating on the statement of Not Physically Qualified (NPQ) under the Spinal Fractures condition of https://www.med.navy.mil/sites/nmotc/nami/arwg/Documents/WaiverGuide/13_Orthopedics.pdf .

(Thoracic: A three month period of grounding for a single compression fracture with less than 50% compression or a single wedge fracture with no scoliosis on AP views. At 3 months, if the patient is pain free and with no instability, a waiver will be considered for non-ejection seat aircraft only. At 12 months, waiver will be considered for ejection-seat aircraft if all of the above criteria are still met. Thoracic spine fractures with more than 50% compression, with evidence of scoliosis, or more than one compression fracture are NPQ with a waiver considered on a case by case basis.)

Long story short, I've been in competitive motocross since I was three. I also have extensive mechanical knowledge due to this and my dad being a mechanic, so all I did was work on motorcycles in my youth. When I was 19, I was fixing a friend's 125cc while I let him ride my 450cc. The great increase in power made me think I should give him my helmet and I would test ride his without a helmet on. The throttle body was a little rusted after I cleaned out his Carburetor float, but I thought nothing of it. I ended up going down the road at around 25mph when I started getting no throttle response around 3/4 power, tried ditching but hit my head on some rocks with an open skull fracture (No loss of consciousness and no concussion (Don't ask me how, I have absolutely no idea)) and two compression fractures on my T5 and T6 vertebrae. No defined percentage amount but height loss was stated as "minimal." I had cosmetic surgery for a stress rip of the skin and now have a gnarly scar on my forehead as well as a plate covering the skull fracture.

I am currently 20 and about a year and two months out of the head injury. I'm a Senior at Embry-Riddle with a 3.7 GPA. Taking ASTB in August.

I have also ruptured my spleen (Racing and my chest protector broke while crashing) and a 10% collapse of the lung (Pneumothorax) that shouldn't be a problem anymore. A fractured ankle with a pin, but no disability or loss of movement that would affect me. A dislocated elbow with surgery to repair ligaments, but it is now stronger than the other arm and fully flexible.

My recruiter said that I have the most injuries he's seen in Prescott, Arizona, but not the most severe to make it through MEPs.

Basically the questions I'm asking:
  1. How liable would obtaining this waiver be?
  2. Does the NRC consider Medical or is it just a pass or fail by MEPS and the NRC just takes the suggestion?
  3. Is there anything I can do as a demonstrated ability? (Can squat twice as much now than before my accident, and have no back pain whatsoever)
  4. Even if I can't get Ejection Seat approved would I still be able to fly Cargo?
There’s a whole thread dedicated to medical. Search around.

E6BFlightComp

I've searched and searched for a couple of days now but no one with a thread on more than one compression fracture in the Thoracic Section of the back. Just want to get some opinions maybe come up with some good ideas on how to work around it (by getting waivers, High Impact Training Demonstration Waiver, etc.)

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
DODI 6130.03 lists standards for commissioning. It doesn't seem to make any distinction about number of vertebral compression fractures, just that the fracture can't exceed 25% of the vertebral height. I would recommend going into the physical with a current orthopedics eval, specifically addressing that requirement. How can you get a skull fracture without a concussion? Did you really have an open skull fracture?
V/R

E6BFlightComp

Like I said, absolutely blew my mind! Was conscious the whole time, and what my process of thinking was it was a five inch facial fracture that led into my eye socket, which allowed the brain to swell.

Last edited: