• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"Competitive" Scores for ENLISTED to OFFICER OCS Packages

Jynx

*Placeholder*
Contributor
So I noticed alot of people asking one another if they thought their scores were good enough or what not. Of course, the only answer is apply and find out. But I found on-line a FY 06 summary of the scores that the recruiting boards themselves considered competitive
http://www.usnca.org/18thsym/briefs/thursday/navy_recruiting.ppt
Starting around page 20, they start breaking it down, AMDO, SWO, SNA, NFO etc..
Of course, you'll feel good knowing that only about 25% of the US youth population is even up to Navy application standards to begin with.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Jynx,
Great find but it appears that the stats listed in the PPT are for ENLISTED to OFFICER...not necessarily someone who is straight off the street applying to OCS.

A couple pearls of real wisdom...common pitfalls:
ppt said:
-PRT: OCS applicants must have Good Low in all categories, run required, no HT/WT/BF% issues
-Low OAR scores. Less than 40.
-EVALS vs. CO Recommendations, consistency.
-Citizenship (Intel, Crypto) and immediate family.
-Degree not complete.
-Misspelling in motivational statements.
-ANTHROS for NFO, PILOT.
-AGE, must be commissioned before max age.

I guess they do pay attention to your package. :D

-ea6bflyr ;)

m26

Contributor
Great find but it appears that the stats listed in the PPT are for ENLISTED to OFFICER...not necessarily someone who is straight off the street applying to OCS.

Perhaps some parts of it, but not all. See:

Positive Factors:
Prior military experience

If the whole thing was enlisted to officer, that part (on PAO) would make no sense.

navy09

None
Wow, rep for that find. Looks like the straight shit.

I agree it looks like enlisted to officer stuff, but one of the staff corps slides says they prefer people with prior military experience.

I love that SWO is more selective than SPECWAR :D

Jynx

*Placeholder*
Contributor
Jynx,

A couple pearls of real wisdom...common pitfalls:

I guess they do pay attention to your package. :D

-ea6bflyr ;)
Good to know. Thanks for fixing the title. I wasn't sure, because some of the graphs state that they are only prior enlisteds, where as some of the profiles suggest prior service as a plus. I guess we should chalk that up to the ppt being done by committee?
I guess it would be really interesting to find out if they expected more or less from their Enlisteds when compared to people from the Civilian world.

ASHWND

(BDCP) Supply Corps OC
Great gouge man, we should post this link in every post that starts off... "am I competetive"

I don't think the SWO stats are right though, OAR seems to high and the selection rate also seems to low, just my observation over the past year.

Beefalo

The 1420.1b states "overall PRT must be a good a low." I have never been that great in the run. I got a good low in the run last cycle but used the bike. Worst case scenario is it good low overall or good low in all categories? I can get a good high by making up in other areas but the run is hardest for me.

EM1

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit
If it says overall then the requirement is overall.

That said, if you want to not just get select to but make it through OCS you need to start running IMHO. I've watched a few friends get through OCS, and the amount of running they do is no joke.

Beefalo

Oh yea I plan on it. I just have so many areas to improve and work on time management and prioritizing is critical. Such as PRT scores wont matter if I dont even finish my degee to give you an example. If any other priors who got selected recently could post their experiences that would be great.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You are correct. After 2.5 years, it was bound to happen.

-ea6bflyr ;)