• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Competitive Profile For Supply Officer Programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

leegator

I dont know if this is accurate. I was searching the web and found this and thought I would post it...I hope its correct, if it is, then im pearl.. :)

COMPETITIVE PROFILE FOR SUPPLY OFFICER PROGRAMS

The following Officer Candidate School selection criteria/considerations apply to the Supply Corps Community.

Supply Corps officer candidates are selected/not selected after careful review of their entire package. Each candidate is considered on his/her own merits and in the context of the current pool of applicants. We are looking for individuals who have demonstrated consistent superior performance in academic, employment (including prior military service) and extracurricular activities.

A minimum GPA of 2.20 is required. A GPA of 3.0 is considered competitive. An OAR score of 40 or higher is considered competitive.

A baccalaureate degree in Math, Economics, Accounting, Business Administration, Finance or Computer Science/Information Systems is preferred. Applicants who have proven exceptional merit in other fields of study will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

Written recommendations from employers, professors, coaches, etc. will enhance the application package by allowing us to evaluate the candidate’s leadership potential. When possible, interviews with Supply Corps Officers may also enhance opportunity for selection.

Supply Corps Officers are a highly trained, specialized team of professionals performing executive-level duties in financial management, inventory control, contracting, computer systems, material logistics, retailing, and other related areas. As a result, good character is essential. Candidates who have had financial/legal difficulties, mental health issues, significant drug use or employment problems are not considered good candidates. Youthful offenses (i.e. one-time drug experimentation or public intoxication) are generally not an issue as long as the candidate has demonstrated maturity since the incidents.

Officers will deploy at sea for extended periods of time (i.e. 6 months) and be assigned globally. Applicants who have health constraints such as seasickness, or family obligations, which prevent worldwide assignability, may not be considered suitable candidates.

Disqualifiers:
· GPA below 2.2
· OAR below 35
· Numerous alcohol and/or drug related offenses
Recent or unresolved personal financial problems

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I've seen that before, so that's at least 2 years old. Needless to say, you're gonna have to do way better than a 2.2. I would even think that a 3.0 isn't going to be competitive these days.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Thisguy said:
I've seen that before, so that's at least 2 years old. Needless to say, you're gonna have to do way better than a 2.2. I would even think that a 3.0 isn't going to be competitive these days.

I have a 3.1 in Aerospace Engineering and got selected. There are several BDCP selects (in all areas, i.e. SNA, NFO, Supply, etc) that got in with 3.0 gpas. The major has a lot to do with it, but again, it's the whole package concept.

EngineGirl

Sleepy Head
I know that BDCP will not accept you (at least not right now) unless you have at least a 2.7 GPA, no matter what your major is (even if your community pro-rec's you). You can get work force with below a 2.7 though (guarenteed a spot to OCS but not paid).

Good luck!!

EngineGirl

ducam23

Supply Corps - BDCP 2007
That is all accurate except for the GPA/OAR scores. Competitive OAR is 50 and a competitive GPA is around 3.1 for TECH MAJORS and 3.5-3.6 for NON-TECH MAJORS. Those who are in a business or communication or other such major, take a tech class and you'll understand why this is.

erinbynight

erinbynight
You can go online and do a google search to find competitive profiles for almost any designation. The question is...are they up to date? It's true though...competitive GPA's for most designations start at 3.5. Bad news for those like me who work hard and still end up with 3.1's and 3.2's.

Godspeed

pilot
I believe that competitive profiling is a waste of the applicants time, assuming they are reasonably qualified. If you know what you want, GO FOR IT. Getting selected for any community is strictly based on timing and numbers (this especially holds true for SNA). My point is that current "competitive profiles" should not influence the applicants decisions one bit. Apply anyways, and sort it all out later. There have been times that the best of the best got denied, and the lesser qualified got selected. Don't let numbers and odds determine the course of your life.

zornundo

How is graduate school GPA viewed? My undergrad GPA was ~3.25 and I just got my MBA with a 3.6. How helpful is a graduate degree for competitiveness?

Godspeed

pilot
I would think that an MBA with that gpa is probably one of the best assets you could have. If I have my facts straight, the supply corps LOVES MBAs. I think it will prove tremendously beneficial in your app.

zornundo

Will an MBA help overcome the fact that I won't have any letters of recommendation from officers? I don't know any officers. My letters of recommendation will more than likely come from a couple of professors that I worked under as a graduate assistant.

erinbynight

erinbynight
Having rec letters from officers isn't a requirement, and I am not sure to what extent they help you have an edge over applicants that don't have them. Many people don't know officers, apply, and get selected. It's the quality of the recommendation letters.

Godspeed

pilot
LORs from officers definitely help, but i wouldn't sweat it if you don't have any. LOR's from respectable professors are valuable as well. If it were me, I would just emphasize your knowledge of the demanding role of a naval officer, and stress that you are capbable of handling it.

LOR's from officers are great because they know what it takes to be a naval officer, so when they say, "It is my belief that so and so would excel in the demanding role of a naval officer," the members of the board probably feel more comfortable in reccommending them.

Like erin said, I wouldn't sweat it. It sounds to me like you have a strong background.

Status
Not open for further replies.