• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Commissioning after OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

MM1_USN

I am a MM1 (conventional) with a little over 8 years serving on active duty. I have completed my BS and MBA. I have been told in the pass that if you already have a masters that you will be commissioned as a LTJG instead of and ENS. I have also heard that they will commission you as and ENS and then 6 months later you are promoted to LTjg. Does anyone know which is true?

MM1

Also if anyone has any last minute tips, i would appreciate it if you would share them. My package is being routed up my chain of command right now and will be sent out no later then the 28th (or at least I hope)..

Matt Klingensmith
MM1 (SW/AW) USN

frogggystyle

Not for OCS graduates. Unrestricted line goes by the numbers...2 years as an Ensign and 2 years as a LTjg. (They were/are looking at making it 18 months from LTjg to LT, but I haven't heard the news about the Navy going to that yet.) A few of my classmates had Masters degrees and all were commissioned as Ensigns through OCS.

You may be thinking about the Medical Service Corps. Through the MSC/IPP system, if you have a Masters degree you are commissioned as a LTjg. If you only have a BS/BA, you are commissioned as an Ensign through MSC/IPP. I do know that as a doctor you can enter the Medical Corps, automatically, as a LT or even higher if your speciality is badly needed by the military (I think up to CDR right off the bat). That stuff is usually reserved for the brain/heart surgeons though.

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - General George Patton (1885-1945)

frogggystyle

Last minute tips - start memorizing all of this stuff now:

https://www.cnet.navy.mil/nascweb/ocs/ocs_memorization.htm

If you want insight as to what to expect when youget to OCS, go here: http://www.geocities.com/frogggystyle/hobbies/ocs.html

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - General George Patton (1885-1945)

Status
Not open for further replies.