• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Commissioning after graduation

RCL813

FY 09 CORE Selectee!
This may be a silly question, but how long after graduation does it usually take to get commissioned? I know alot of people end up cutting it close on the age requirements for a variety of reasons, so it cant be too long, but I would think that there is a bit of work that goes in to arranging a commissioning ceremony. I was just wondering if anyone was willing to share their stories so that those of us new to this arena would avoid major pitfalls when the time comes.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
This is posted in Enlisted Commissioning Programs... what program are you specifically referring to? OCS, STA-21?

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Your graduation date IS you commissioning date. Unless there is an unforeseen complication (medical or otherwise) you will commission on the date that you graduate, maybe a day earlier.

Example: our University graduation was Dec 20 a saturday. We commissioned Dec 19. There were no STAs in our class, but Mids and STAs graduate essentially the same way.

torpedo0126

like statesmen said, you will commission right around the day you graduate. the resources you need to graduate will depend on the school you attend. the paperwork will need to be handled by your unit.

as far as the ceremony, it can be as short and sweet as you want it. my school had a very formal separate ceremony. if you want, you can have it be as simple as a discharge/reenlistment thing. but usually you keep all the traditions, like the first salute.

RCL813

FY 09 CORE Selectee!
Thanks for the info. The traditions will have to be in there, going through all that hard work just to leave out the traditions and treat it like just another re-up would be silly. thanks again.

Bevo16

pilot
I graduated July 15th, and was not commissioned until September 1st.

During my soph year, my ROTC advisor "advised" me to take the wrong physics class. By the time we figured out that I was on the wrong track, I had completed my physics requirement (I thought), and had to completely start over. In order to keep from getting kicked out of the ROTC program, I had to skip my 1st class middie cruise to stay in Austin for the summer (bummer) and take physics. Having to re-take that class pushed me to being a summer graduate AND I had to do a 1st class cruise as a "graduated midshipman".

I already had orders to flight school, but the LT who had me take all of the extra physics classes hated my guts (some old grudge against athletes that she carried from her days at the USNA) and she refused to send me on an aviation cruise. Her "punishment" for me was to go on a surface cruise. I don't think that she ever figured out how stupid it was for a SWO to "punish" someone by sending them on a SWO cruise. Whatever.

I ended up on the USS Blue Ridge out in Japan, and it was an AWESOME time. My running mate was a prior-E from Texas, and as soon as I told him that I was already graduated and not going to be a SWO, he just gave me his phone number and told me to check in every couple of days. I went all over Japan for about 10 days before hopping back on board and riding the boat to a 5 day port call in Vladivostok. I can't put into words the awesomeness of Vlad. It has to be experienced. I will say that the women are from a totally different planet, and that planet is called OUTFUCKINGSTANDINGINGLYHOT. I gave serious thought to defecting, it was that awesome.

When I got back, I was commissioned befoer Texas' season opener at Memorial Stadium. Until I hear of someone having a bigger one, I am claiming to have the record for largest commissioning ceremony (87,000+). :D