• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Commercial Aviation questions

VS FO

pilot
None
A couple questions I was hoping some of the resident experts could address:

My understanding is that new ATP requirements call for 1500 hours total time, but military pilots can receive a "restricted" ATP with 750 hours. Can anyone verify this and clarify exactly what the "restricted" portion implies? Will hiring opportunities with the majors be different etc?

Next question: I currently have about 1300 total pilot hours made up of T-34/T-45/F-18 time (also about 1200 S-3 NFO hours if that makes any difference). With the anticipated hiring boom in a couple years do those of you with airline experience think this will be competitive enough to go straight to one of the majors?

I'm seriously considering jumping ship here in the next couple of years and wondering if the airlines (non-commuters) will be a viable option.

Any insight from those in the know would be appreciated.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
It basically only allows you to act as FO until you meet the 1500 hour requirement.

https://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/news_story.cfm?newsId=13373

Take a good long look at your logbook and do some civilian conversions. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if you were actually over or very close to the 1,500 total time. Also, being a Viking FO, weren't you manipulating the controls a lot of the time? I don't know what the FAA says about that, but it could be worth something.

Flyboyd pasted a good website to do research in another thread. http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com
I suspect your question about your future would better be answered there or maybe by talking to some of your old buddies who are doing airline gigs.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Without an ATP, you will NOT be going straight to the majors. (even though they may only require a Commercial- EVERYBODY has an ATP) All other info after that is airline specific. (ie.. PIC time, Flight Engineer Cert, medical, currency..) Also forget about that sole manipulator bullshit. That ain't gonna fly.. If you weren't Aircraft Commander (Navy Time) then you weren't PIC.

My perspective---> S-3 dude gone training command gone airline guy...