• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Commanding Officers Endorsement

Robert Murphy

Hello,

I am new to the forum and in the process of submitting my OCS package for SWO. I am active duty HM2 and was told to write my own commanding officers endorsement for my 1420 app. I am having difficulty finding a close copy to what I am applying for. I can find some very general samples, however do not know how I am expected to write this. Very little support from my CCC and COC. Thank you all in advance for any information or examples you have.

Bob

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Your Divo should be helping you with this. If not, find another Doc where you work to help out. Basically, you want to write a few paragraphs in eval or award style writing, highlighting your leadership and professional worthiness as a potential officer. Use superlatives, make yourself sound like you walk on water and sell what you think your CO would say about someone he's going to bat for.

Robert Murphy

Unfortunately Brett, they aren't helping at all. I have navigated the process alone up to this point. I have completed everything for this package, and this is the last thing (along with CO sig.) that I need before sending the package. Most of the people I come in contact with do not help because they are not familiar with the OCS program. Being medical they are familiar with STA 21 and MECEP. Does anyone who has been accepted have a scanned copy of what they submitted, or an example of what they put on their 1420? I am mainly concerned about formatting...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Unfortunately Brett, they aren't helping at all. I have navigated the process alone up to this point. I have completed everything for this package, and this is the last thing (along with CO sig.) that I need before sending the package. Most of the people I come in contact with do not help because they are not familiar with the OCS program. Being medical they are familiar with STA 21 and MECEP. Does anyone who has been accepted have a scanned copy of what they submitted, or an example of what they put on their 1420? I am mainly concerned about formatting...
I wouldn't worry too much about formatting. Anything your CO signs is going to be chopped by his admin folks (formatting), and likely by him as well. Just do it in standard memo type formatting (look in the Navy Correspondence Manual if you have questions) and let the YNs take care of the minutiae. You can also go ask one of the YNs for help in formatting. There's nothing OCS specific about an endorsement letter. If nobody at your command is helping (which I find odd), go to the base CCC for help.

exNavyOffRec

In addition you can look at the thread April board, there are several AD guys there that could give you advice.

also, don't worry too much you have lots of time, the next SWO board shouldn't be until Jan 2013, that should have a deadline of Dec.