• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Command Paths for PC's and Mine Sweepers

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Cid

You're daisy if you do.
I've just been informed that the urgent push to decom PC's is like saying anything in the Navy... it's subject to change and many delays. So, does anyone have ligit advice on good sea and shore posts for JO's and DH's to help ensure selection?

Disclaimer: I know that nothing is a sure thing and that any advice is subject to change as the SWO community changes and grows over the years.

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
Not sure about that myself...might want to check on sailorbob.com.

A good bet, though, is take NPS for your first shore duty and then head off to DH school. If I wasn't in flight school that's where I would be right now.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
PC Command is a second tour DH job. XO tours on an MCM/MHC are also second tour DH jobs. MCM/MHC command is a LCDR command job is done in lieu of a traditional XO tour. There is no magic formula for ensuring any of this. Selection as a DH will become increasingly more competitive in the near future. The DH rides themselves are already fairly competitive. They'll only get moreso with time.

To get selected for PC command, you have to put in a package. Very few who put a package in actually screen for PC command. And only a few of those who screen actually get assigned to take command. It's a mixture of hard work and luck.

That being said, if after (or during) your divo tours, you know you'll be going on to do your two DH tours, then NPS is definitely the place to be for your shore tour in between. I have never met any person who has gone to Monterey for their masters and regret it or wish they would have gone to regular shore duty.

El Cid

You're daisy if you do.
How long do they keep you at NPS? Is it 18 mos. then straight back out or is it a full three year gig? Can it been done inconjuction/after with a flag-LT tour?

Thanks for the advice. I'm trying to think long term now so that when I'm a LT I'm not freaking out wishing I woulda, coulda, shoulda done something else.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How long you're at NPS depends on the curriculum (masters program) that you end up doing. Most programs are for 18-24 months I believe. I don't want to get into curriculum choices here though. If you have any questions at all about that kind of stuff, be sure to contact NPS directly. They have the answers. I will say this, however. It pays to take calc based physics and at least two semester of calc, now, before you get commissioned. This is why I always tell people to take these courses REGARDLESS of whether they need them for their major or their commissioning source. If you don't take these classes now, it could potentialy close doors down the road that you might want left open.

As for a flag LT tour, you can't do both that and NPS either back to back or at the same time. You could do a flag LT tour, then your DH tours, and then potentially go to NPS for your masters. But then, you start talking about issues with career timing and whether you're competitive enough to screen for XO, blah, blah, blah. As for getting your masters at a civilian campus while you're a flag LT, that is next to impossible. Flag LT's travel a lot with their respective admirals, making it kind of difficult to attend class. Plus, the hours are long making it double hard. Sure there may be some exceptions, but I certainly wouldn't plan on it. Also, to get a flag LT job, you'll have to have your shi!t squared away. It's a competive screening process that occurs before you assigned that billet. Everyone who wants to do that particular flag LT job tells their detailer their wishes. Then everyone who did has their record screened by BUPERS. The final cut (4 or 5 officers) from the initial record screen are then sent to do a personal interview with not only the admiral who he'd be working for, but also several others on the admiral's staff. My point, being a flag LT is not automatic. If this is something you want, make sure your COC knows this so they can groom you and also so they can put down Flag LT as a recommendation on your fitrep.

If I was in your shoes and able to do it all over again, I would definitely be gunning for a Flag LT tour. I put in for OLA (Office of Legislative Affairs) a couple years back and even got to interview for the job in D.C. There were four of us who interviewed....and none of the four of us got it. I would have had to sacrifice getting my masters degree if I got it though. So, if you already know in advance that this is something you want to pursue, start working on your masters during your divo tours, one class at a time until your are fully qual'd (OOD, SWO, and EOOW). Once you have that golden triangle, start taking two classes at a time. There are PLENTY of schools that offer masters programs via distance education. The navy could care less where you get your degree from or what it's in. Then, if you get your flag LT job, great, you're set. If not, then pick something that really interests you and enjoy your shore duty.

El Cid

You're daisy if you do.
Thanks for the advice, that seems to be what I keep hearing. I've been in long enough to understand that there is no "right" answer to the career thing. I just want to make sure that I don't miss any "shoulda done" things when I look back. I just don't want any homer moments... d'oh!

Status
Not open for further replies.