• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Coming in a little “hot” to the dock in Roatán

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
MSC Armonia Cruise ship collided with dock in Roatán. Looks like they were dragging their anchor trying to stop.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Perhaps a T-Rex was in their cargo hold?

OR

I think I saw the same maneuver in one of the Johnny Depp films...just poorly executed. That was the anchor dragging before the collision? Maybe they should have dumped all of the cannon balls, etc...overboard before executing the maneuver.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I think I saw the same maneuver in one of the Johnny Depp films...just poorly executed. That was the anchor dragging before the collision? Maybe they should have dumped all of the cannon balls, etc...overboard before executing the maneuver.

tenor.gif

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Why didn’t they have any tugs...?

Some smaller ports don't use tugs. Cruise ships usually have bow and stern thrusters to make them capable of pulling in without tugs under the right conditions/regs.

It's honestly hard to imagine what happened in this case. I can't get further than a "something broke at a really bad time" hypothesis.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Why didn’t they have any tugs...?

That particular harbor at Roatan is really just that dock facility and...that's it. They didn't even have a viable barge for our ACOM ladder or a decent (read: dry) liberty launch when we initially pulled in there. No kidding, the first "barge" they pulled up looked like a beer pong table floating the water. And by floating, I mean it was about 3" underwater.

That dock facility is really nice and built specifically for the cruise ships, but when they came and went, I never saw any tugs.