• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Collings Foundation B-17 down in Connecticut

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
That looks like a bad day, my dad just did one of those flights last year. Wonder if it’s the same bird...

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
This is terrible news. I took a flight on that B-17 a few years back. It seemed well maintained and the Collings Foundation is an organization that takes great care of its aircraft.

HuggyU2

None
I think there are actually 11 that fly.
That's about right.

Former U-2 pilot I know flies one for CAF.

When I was a FAIP, my student and I were at Ellington on a cross-country. The following morning (a Saturday... yes, in the AF, we fly XC's on Saturday) at Ellington, we talked our way on to a 30 minute flight with the crew. Pretty neat.

The pilot of "909" (the one that crashed) was the high-time B-17 pilot in the world. I think maybe the highest time ever.

We know the lawyers will come out of the woodwork and tear in to Collings' deep pockets. My fear is that... in the world of pussification and safe spaces... we will see the calls to "stop these old planes!" and that sort of thing.

Last edited:

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
What @HuggyU2 writes is sad, but true. From the latest news...

Sen. Richard Blumenthal, D-Conn., said on Twitter he's calling for an immediate investigation by the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) "so we can get to the bottom of what happened & prevent future tragedies."

"Vintage planes must be properly maintained & flown— & the NTSB must tell us whether this tragedy could have been prevented," Blumenthal said.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Sen. Richard Blumenthal, D-Conn., said on Twitter he's calling for an immediate investigation by the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) "so we can get to the bottom of what happened & prevent future tragedies."

"Vintage planes must be properly maintained & flown— & the NTSB must tell us whether this tragedy could have been prevented," Blumenthal said.

While the Senator's call for an investigation is redundant I don't see his statement as unreasonable.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor

What here is untrue or unreasonable?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Maybe a better question for the Senator would be whether he'd even heard of the Collings Foundation before yesterday.

He's done a lot of good work, in his career, with a lot of things that are not aviation-related. His statement from yesterday comes across as grandstanding and knee-jerk though.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
On Tuesday, a local official said an immediate investigation by the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) would not only be prudent, but standard procedure, "so we can get to the bottom of what happened & prevent future tragedies."

"Vintage planes must be properly maintained & flown— & the NTSB must tell us whether this tragedy could have been prevented," the official said.

Better?

Last edited:

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The problem with the Senator's comment is that it is meaningless at best. He is pandering to scaredy cats, candy asses and nannies. The regulations regarding maintenance of vintage aircraft, specifly experimental and restricted registered warbirds, is detailed. Enforcement and oversight must be appropiate because we don't have these types of planes falling out of the sky with regularity. Organizations like CAF, Collings, AAHF, and Planes of Fame are precisely the ones you don't have to worry about. His comment is vapid and unhelpful and will lead to an assumption these types of flying activities are unnecessarily unsafe.