• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

College Program to Scolarship

I was wondering if any one could weigh in a little on my chances. I am currently a 4/C midshipman at the SUNY maritime NROTC battalion and I am applying for the online 3 year scholarship. What could be my chances?
Major: Marine engineering
GPA: 3.75 (College)
Awarded 4/C midshipman of the semester by my CO
Sat 700 math 620 reading
Volunteer EMT (Currently a crew chief in my squad of of over 2 years. 400+ hours)
Varsity swimming 4 years back in highschool
End goal is to fly! I like the new P-8a :)

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was wondering if any one could weigh in a little on my chances.
dmitriy, sorry but we don't predict "chances "or give out "odds" on this site.
End goal is to fly! I like the new P-8a :)
Thought your 'resume' and the numbers you posted, looked fine, UNTIL I saw the end goal... I had to wonder why an intelligent gent like yourself, set your goal so low, when there are wondrous machines like F/A-18s, F-35s, the latest 'clopters' awating the gentle touch of your hands? I hope it's only a temporary brain-fart, but they'll determine that in your flight physical. Psychiatry may also be required!:eek:

Seriously, your posted data looks cool, but not being familiar with the scolarship program you seek, I'll leave it for the experts. VP, really? Must be the waterbeds, hot tub, and the TAD $$$!:D
BzB

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

exNavyOffRec

just keep doing what you are doing, even if you don't get a scholarship you are setting yourself up for a very good shot at OCS.

Renegade One

None
I was wondering if any one could weigh in a little on my chances. I am currently a 4/C midshipman at the SUNY maritime NROTC battalion and I am applying for the online 3 year scholarship. What could be my chances?
Please tell your "Chief of Staff" (initials MW…) that "Spike" said hello. He and his lovely bride are old friends of ours.

He also commanded the San Diego NROTC consortium in his past life…and knows how all of this works, as does everyone else on the Staff, I'm sure...

"One of the greatest SWOs that ever shit between two shoes!" ~ Blatantly stolen from "The Great Santini".

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Does SUNY still offer commission through the Merchant Marine Reserve program?
That was a great back door to get into the Navy through the state Maritime Academies.

I'll tell him you said hi!
Does SUNY still offer commission through the Merchant Marine Reserve program?
That was a great back door to get into the Navy through the state Maritime Academies.
SUNY still offers it and its called Strategic sea lift officer. You go reserves and you have to get a USCG license. Its good for those who are certain on the civilian industry. There are few active duty slots available to the SSO guys if they want them.

ajohn921

pilot
None
Do they still offer the Professor of Naval Science (PNS) scholarships in NROTC? Ask your unit officers about it. I was a college programmer too and was put up for several "side-load" boards, but with budget cuts those boards never met and I was nominated for a PNS scholarship instead. Your CO should have the ability to give out one or two PNS scholarships per year to college programmers and with your resume. You're certainly a strong candidate for it.

Do they still offer the Professor of Naval Science (PNS) scholarships in NROTC? Ask your unit officers about it. I was a college programmer too and was put up for several "side-load" boards, but with budget cuts those boards never met and I was nominated for a PNS scholarship instead. Your CO should have the ability to give out one or two PNS scholarships per year to college programmers and with your resume. You're certainly a strong candidate for it.
I have never heard of the PNS scolarship . Do you have any extra ino about it? Should I just email my officer about it?

Renegade One

None
I have never heard of the PNS scolarship . Do you have any extra ino about it? Should I just email my officer about it?
Dmitriy: With respect, you should don your 4C uniform and go see him/her about it personally. Shows a higher level of respect/interest in the option than an e-mail ever could. Plus…good training for life in the Navy.

Dmitriy: With respect, you should don your 4C uniform and go see him/her about it personally. Shows a higher level of respect/interest in the option than an e-mail ever could. Plus…good training for life in the Navy.
I was asking about the email for my 4/c advisor LT because Im currently away from school for break. Is the PNS scholarship given by the CO? And I agree if he is in the office I will meet him personally. Thank you the idea.

ajohn921

pilot
None
Yes, the PNS is awarded by the CO based on your performance and the recommendations of your class advisor(s).

After emailing my freshmen adviser LT he informed that the PNS scholarship quota comes around the spring semester. So hopefully it works out!