• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

College options for a more-competitive OCS package

pilotconnor4396

Currently a high school senior with hopes of being a U.S. Navy Strike Fighter pilot. I have a Private and I hope to get my Instrument in my time off from college. Biggest goal is getting a commission and getting selected for tailhook. The airlines could be a potential post military career, but I have never felt thast where I really want to be. I know that a PPL doesn't help too much with the application to OCS, but it does help skills wise during flight training. Biggest debate between schools pertains to a balance of school and having a good time being young. My college options are:

1. Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University - Prescott, AZ
Major: Aeronautical Science
Thoughts: Great school but very costly. I have heard that a degree in Aeronautical Science is hard to work with in the event that I go to the airlines but lose my job or can't fly because of a medical problem. Also, I feel that getting a commercial and multi-engine will be a waste of money if I get selected for a Naval Aviator spot. Also the school has a poor social climate and there really isn't much to do. ERAU does have small class sizes which help with academics though.

2. Cal Poly San Luis Obispo
Major: City Planning (probably will switch if able)
Thoughts: Great school that doesn't cost as much as ERAU. Solid academic background but larger class sizes and a quarter system mean I can not slack off or I will fall behind. Also near a small, regional airport where I could get my flight hours up and get my Instrument. Close to home with a lot to do outside of school with plenty of clubs to demonstrate leadership, etc.

*Denied from 5 U.C. schools so that limited myself to OCS as opposed to NROTC at two UC schools.

Really just want to hear your thoughts on my situation and any pointers to make myself more competitive. I think it hinges mostly on GPA, Aviation test scores, and LORs (?). I would like to get myself on the right track from the beginning of my four-year college experience. Thanks!

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thoughts: Great school that doesn't cost as much as ERAU. Solid academic background but larger class sizes and a quarter system mean I can not slack off or I will fall behind. Also near a small, regional airport where I could get my flight hours up and get my Instrument. Close to home with a lot to do outside of school with plenty of clubs to demonstrate leadership, etc.
Just a quickie thought on your option #2: If you decide on CalPoly, I recommend an Aero or other Engineering degree, vice City Planning. A BSxE would be ideal for a SNA, both for application value, plus the opportunity for the Test Pilot program (TPS), further along in your career. Should you bail after your commitment, the engineering degree is valued by the airlines, and would be much more valuable (higher $$$), for other than airline employment.:)

Just a tip, when I started my Masters at FSU, I was enrolled in the Urban & Regional Planning Program. After a semester and a half of basics, and attendance at many actual City Council meetings, I bailed out. Way too much nasty politics, and shady 'stuff'... palsy walsy shenanigans between developers and city planners, for my palate. I then took a job with a major aircraft engine/APU manufacturer (Garrett) in PHX. After several years there, they provided me the opportunity to obtain a MAS @ ERAU (Sky Harbor/Luke AFB Campus), totally on the company dime. Completed in 2 years at night, while working 40 hrs/wk days. A few good deals out there on occasion.;)
BzB

pilotconnor4396

Just a quickie thought on your option #2: If you decide on CalPoly, I recommend an Aero or other Engineering degree, vice City Planning. A BSxE would be ideal for a SNA, both for application value, plus the opportunity for the Test Pilot program (TPS), further along in your career. Should you bail after your commitment, the engineering degree is valued by the airlines, and would be much more valuable (higher $$$), for other than airline employment.:)

That's what I have been looking at. All majors at CalPoly are impacted and the Engineering majors are the hardest to get into. I might have a better chance of switching to Industrial Technology but even then, it is within a separate college at the school which makes it much more difficult to switch into. Could a degree in City Planning hurt my OCS package? When I applied to CalPoly, City Planning was my SECOND choice, while business was my first.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Could a degree in City Planning hurt my OCS package? When I applied to CalPoly, City Planning was my SECOND choice, while business was my first.
No, City Planning won't hurt you, but GPA, ASTB/OAR, and quality LORs are much more important at board. But as mentioned previously, City Planning limits good employment opportunities after Navy life, plus IMO... it's uber boooring!:rolleyes:

An 'Ancient Macedonian Art' major may well turn into the next 'Maverick', while a BSAE possibly washes out in Primary. College degree major has little correlation to success in developing flight skills/airmanship, it's more motor skills, hand/eye coordination, and common sense.;)
BzB

JollyGood

Flashing Dome
pilot
Currently a high school senior with hopes of being a U.S. Navy Strike Fighter pilot. I have a Private and I hope to get my Instrument in my time off from college. Biggest goal is getting a commission and getting selected for tailhook. The airlines could be a potential post military career, but I have never felt thast where I really want to be. I know that a PPL doesn't help too much with the application to OCS, but it does help skills wise during flight training. Biggest debate between schools pertains to a balance of school and having a good time being young. My college options are:

1. Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University - Prescott, AZ
Major: Aeronautical Science
Thoughts: Great school but very costly. I have heard that a degree in Aeronautical Science is hard to work with in the event that I go to the airlines but lose my job or can't fly because of a medical problem. Also, I feel that getting a commercial and multi-engine will be a waste of money if I get selected for a Naval Aviator spot. Also the school has a poor social climate and there really isn't much to do. ERAU does have small class sizes which help with academics though.

*Denied from 5 U.C. schools so that limited myself to OCS as opposed to NROTC at two UC schools.

Really just want to hear your thoughts on my situation and any pointers to make myself more competitive. I think it hinges mostly on GPA, Aviation test scores, and LORs (?). I would like to get myself on the right track from the beginning of my four-year college experience. Thanks!

My .02 on this. Go to Cal Poly and have an awesome college experience balanced with handling everything in the classroom. I echo what BusyBee said in that ensure your major gives you options if the flight school path does not work out for you. Not a knock against you, you just cannot predict what will happen 4-5 years down the road. Also, you can look into transferring after your first or second year at Cal Poly to one of the UCs to go NROTC if that is what you want.

Explore all options, but I strongly urge you to keep that balance of fun and work.

VoodooNova

None
My .02 on this. Go to Cal Poly and have an awesome college experience balanced with handling everything in the classroom. I echo what BusyBee said in that ensure your major gives you options if the flight school path does not work out for you. Not a knock against you, you just cannot predict what will happen 4-5 years down the road. Also, you can look into transferring after your first or second year at Cal Poly to one of the UCs to go NROTC if that is what you want.

Explore all options, but I strongly urge you to keep that balance of fun and work.

Ditto on your last sentence.

I am about to graduate college in 2 weeks (where did the time go? I want it back damnit!), and switched my major a couple of times before settling on an Economics/Spanish double. When choosing a major, pick something you will enjoy learning and will help open doors for you in whatever you want to do. If there are two, shoot for a double major, if your college of choice allows that. You have so many options available to you, so weigh the pros and cons, and figure out what you want to do. Congratulations on your acceptance to college and best of luck as you shoot for your goal!