• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

College grad desires lowdown on nvy jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

palmettoguy4519

The Informed,
I am graduating in May with a BA in History and I want to become a Naval officer; however, I have no desire to become a pilot. What is the best career to persue when considering the civilian world? I have heard of cryptology, intlelligence and so on, but what are the best careers for men like me? I am a History major who is educated, but i have no specialized knowledge applicable to a distinct naval career, such as an engineering or a chemistry major. What are some good pathways? Palmetto G.

zuggerat

you could search around the forum a bit, or you could contact a recruiter. they really are very helpful in most cases, they'll talk to you for as long as you want and they're there to help you so use them. there's no obligation so it cant hurt, plus they can send u packets and information that people here might not be able to provide. degree really doesnt matter too much in most cases, there's a lot you can do with a degree in history, you'd be surprised. if u decide to contact a recruiter ask for an officer program matrix that will answer all your questions in terms of obligations, degree requirements, just about everything. hope that helps a little bit. if you need the number for an officer recruiting station go to www.navy.com and type in your zipcode.

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
The only person that knows what kind of job for you, is you. You have to look at your interests. The Navy will teach you any thing that you need to know. Supply will get you an MBA. Intel will get you the knowlage to to work for one of the other Gov. agencies. Your best be is to just research. If there is a recruiter near you talk to him. If you have a NROTC, talk to one of the instructors.

Ben

Pags

N/A
pilot
There's no such thing as a recommended degree for the navy. Sure, they say they like engineers, but there are plenty of officer in the navy with liberal arts degrees. In flight school, I'd say the liberal arts degrees prolly outnumber the engineers. A hard science degree is in no way a pre-req for a succesful naval career. Any officer position, whether it be SWO, Aviator, or Intel is looked well upon in the civilian world (or so i keep hearing) due to the large amount of leadership experience you'll get. Most Line Officers hold a variety of positions and have to be flexible in their jobs. For example, in a squadron you could be the scheduling officer, the maintenace officer, and the quality assurance officer all in one tour.

Status
Not open for further replies.