• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

College education

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix

Does anyone know what kind of college education you must have to become a Naval Aviator? I heard something about Science and Arts degree, but I´m not sure. Anyone?

DEATH FROM ABOVE!

Dave Shutter

It is not required that you have any one type of degree, or even a science degree for that matter, although people will sometimes tell you that a science degree is preferred. If you have a BA in Aeronautical engineering from MIT, that's great! But if your degree says Phys. Ed, your still okay as long as the school is accredited. From what i'm told It all depends on the ammount of openings in the pipeline and right now I hear there's a lot. I have a degree in filmmaking! I'm in the process of applying for OCS and flight school and one thing you do need is a decent GPA. If your GPA is low then it might suggest poor studying, or lack therof. If reading the training jounals on this site has tought me anything, it's that SNA's study a frightening ammount. They call it the "firehose effect" for a reason.

Best of luck

D

Phoenix

Hey, thanks!
I won´t have to worry about it for about 4 more years, but I feel calmer now :). Umm, do you know screenplays Dave?

DEATH FROM ABOVE!

Dave Shutter

Anytime, and yes, I do know screenwriting.

Check six

D

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 6 May 2000

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 6 May 2000

Phoenix

Cool!
I´m currently working on something (something is the right word for it :)), maybe you could take a look at it sometime :).

DEATH FROM ABOVE!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Dave:

Small world, I have a degree in Telecom Production. You're only the fourth person I know of now (including me) with that kind of major and participation in the Navy. I guess all those art house guys just don't know what they're missing. :)

Devin

Dave Shutter

I don't knwo about you Devin, but man, I can't even begin to tell you how I didn't fit in in film school! Artsy is right, Jeez!! I don't know about your school but everybody in my program wore these cheezy vintage clothes with these tossed up "I don't care how I look" hairdo's which probably took an hour to do, or they wore all black with green hair and never talked to anyone, or they were these friggin ultra bleeding-heart liberal, quasi-hippies. Everybody was high 24-7, a vegetarian, gay or somewhere in the middle, and everybody drank these soup bowl sized coffe...excuse me "latte" cups, and when I presented my thesis film, about an anxious high school kid about to join the Army on the eve of the gulf war (true story based on gues who?) the whole class looked at me like I was from outer space. "Dude...like...why is he joining the army...that's like...dumb!", one guy asked.

Since graduating I've been working for local production companies, commercials mostly, and I've found that the other extreme of the spectrum applies: moneymoneymoneymoney! There doesn't seem to be any middle ground which was what I was looking to get into. I quess that's why I'm applying to go back in the military. Oh well, I can make movies when I'm an old guy!

How's your training by the way Devin, I believe your in Primary?

D

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 15 May 2000

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Dave:

That's too funny. What school did you go to? Mine was a bit more mainstream (whatever that is nowadays) because the Florida program is weighted heavily in news (yuck). So, while I had some of the people you described (including the ones that are "experts" on this stuff, but can't seem to make something happen on paper or tape), I also had a lot of sorority chicks. They would either be a: in the news program so I would have some classes with them, or b: flunked out of the news program and went to production (the ugly stepchild degree). I will say this though, rarely was the class scenery tough to look at :) .

Primary is going okay, slow one minute and then too much the next. I haven't actually flown an airplane in over two weeks, just insturment flying today in the plane and sim rides all last week. It's gonna be a tough ride come Fam5. Actually, it'll be a warmup, but that doesn't make me feel better.

For all that are reading this and are planning/wanting/dreaming of coming here to fly, listen up. Whatever the class is that you have to take (weather, systems, course rules, CPT's, etc) kick ass on it and learn it well. It'll make it sooooo much easier when you have to go back a week or more and dredge it up from your memory (no more EP's!!! please....). Anywho, my $.02

Devin

Dave Shutter

I live in South Jersey and I went first to a county college right after the Army and then to Temple U, in Philly. A school in Florida you say? With "nicer scenery" in the classrooms? Musta' been nice guy! All the chicks in my program classes were the artsy granny dress and combat boot types, butch les/feminist or of the before mentioned black outfit/green hair category. A few cute girls were in the news program, and I do mean a few. I used to eat lunch down by the business and acounting buidling, that's were the nice women were at. Wow! whatta meat market that was! Anyway I kept consoling myself that if I ever got out to California, regardless of my success level, I would be compensated. Friends that have lived or visited out there have assured me that the wannabemodel/actress:guy ratio means that even homeless guys have hot girlfriends. An exaggeration i'm sure, but still...

Boy isn't this a sexist conversation! Well, quess I'd better get it all out of my system before I put the uniform back on. Glad to hear your training is going well, wish I was there! I'm still planning to test and apply soon so wish me luck!

Check six

D

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Dave:

LOL. I'm originally from S. Cal, so when I have to gone visit family there I've noticed a little of what your saying. Hopefully, later on, I can swing getting the -60B RAG in San Dog...

Good luck and keep us posted!

Devin

Dave Shutter

-60b rag Devin? I'm quessing H-60 Seahawk, helo's? I keep forgetting that not every SNA finds the notion of being a piece of blue water op, ordnance equiped, slingshot ammo appealing. Good luck! I was drawn to a T-34c at an air show recently and spent about an hour looking at it, despite my girlfiend bugging me that it was boring. The desert-camo painted TOPGUN FA-18C on the one side and the F-15C with an Iraqi kill flag on the other were of course amazing upclose, but fantasy jets all the same, while the Turbo-weenie had the allure of being more of an immediate reality (SNA acceptance provided) The pilot with it was an instructor and a helo-driver. Some guy talking to him was a little condesending, asking him how he felt being a "lowly rotor head", after having just seen the Blue Angels rip up the sky. The instructor pilot kept his cool and asked him: "What do you think pitches more maverick , the ass end of a ninety-thousand-ton carrier, or the ass end of a frigate!" The guy shut up after that. I spoke with the instructor for awhile, bugged him really, asking him about primary, pipelines and what not. He told me a lot about some primary realities and enlightened me as to the day to day life of a helo-driver operating under SWO, which is a likelihood for most SNA's. We'll just say that I came away with a new appreciation of what the "rotor heads" do.

Of course I dreamt of jets as a kid, and especially when they blasted overhead of my muddy tank positions in Germany, but now that I'm older I'm not sure if I'd want it, the need for speed just isn't there anymore. If I got jet grades and there was a strike slot for my taking, I doubt I'd say no though.

Best of luck in Primary!

Hey, how's the Osprey look to you? SpecOp's missions...SEAL's and hot L.Z.'s...howboutdat!!!

D

Dave Shutter

Oh, another thing the "rotor head" had told me: "When things go to hell in a handbasket for maverick he's got an ejection handle and us to pull him out of the drink, if we go down...well...that's why they make sure you can smim."

D

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I know this is a bit off topic for this thread, but hey, what are you gonna do? [Editor's Note: Muhaha - Don't get me started on that one... webmaster]

Dave, it's funny how some people start to get the notion of how helo's are actually okay while in Primary. If you ask an API class what they want to fly, I'd say 90% would say jets. By the end of Primary, that's greatly reduced, mostly because of the realities of flying, like being a good stick and of course, airsickness. Another issue related to being a good stick is how fast your brain is. I'm still pretty early in the training to really say how mine is, but I would not be surprised if I was NOT up to speed for jets.

But the biggest reason I like helo's, besides the fact that it's cool to fly at tree top level any direction, was a cruise on a frigate. The ships crew was tight, when you pulled into port, there weren't 20 million squid everywhere, and you can pull into more ports in a small boy than a carrier. And on top of that, I can't get stationed in Hawaii if I went jets (who knows if that will happen anyway, but it's a dream). So I guess those are my thoughts.

As for the V-22's, I don't know when the Navy will actually get those. I don't know much about them period, other than the fact that they fall out of the sky a lot. I wouldn't really want to fly those like I wouldn't want to fly the Frog (CH-46), cause the statistics aren't in the crew's favor (at least I think so).

Devin

Status
Not open for further replies.