• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

college credits to help with API

Status
Not open for further replies.

aviatorshade

Catfish
pilot
I've got about a year left of college before I graduate and accept my commision. Since I have a few open credits available I can take whatever electives I so desire. I have heard that API is mostly book work and swimming, so my question is, what classes would be helpful to take prior to API?

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

Tahoe

quote:

NICE!!! John, How much golf did you play in Florida??

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Sadly I haven't been golfing lately...

Back in Corpus we had the regular group going out and playing, bunch of other guys I was going through training with... lots of fun (best ball, 2v2, cut throat, piss of the retired people trying to pass you and play through!).

Also, there have been a couple of squadron and base golf competitions on fridays, get a group together etc... Good stuff, along with going to Wingings, and friday beer and pizza at the O'Club, to help socialize and meet new people. Definitely becomes more important when you get to your first Fleet Squadron, when the CO/XO asks you, "Hey John, see you at the club", or worse "why didn't you come to the club (insert any other command social/function)" doh!

But weather is looking great, I am now in tactics phase, so the steep learning curve has ended (stay in NATOPS though!), time to give my golf buddies a call and go chase a little white ball all over the damn place! Not to mention a cooler filled with beer, shhhh! don't let the range master know!

aviatorshade

Catfish
pilot
Thanks for the advice Sir, thankfully if golf is what I need to do to prepare myself for API I'm all set. And I was afraid about hearing I might want to take more physics classes. BTW what is your handicap John:)??

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Aviatorshade,

The whole API curriculum, and that of the training pipeline as a whole is taught from the assumption that you do not have ANY training/experience or background in aviation. I am the perfect case in point, I had never flown a plane before, and definitely wasn't an Aero or engineering major (CIS for me!). Neither Physics or Caculus are emphasized in any of the training, only the ability to do some of the simple math when you are running Navigation or Fuel log problems that you will start to see in API and throughout training.

As for the golf comment, that was all basically tonque and cheek, way of me saying, enjoy your last semester/year, whatever till you get commissioned and start the training. And also to say that there is more available to you outside of training to decompress/relax, and good people to meet and have fun with.

As for a golf handicap, well..... I can hold me own on most occassions, but my short game needs serious work!

aviatorshade

Catfish
pilot
I knew what you meant And I could definetly spend more time on my short game as well. I have been looking at a intertube water polo class, hmmmm that sounds like good fun...

Semper Fidelis

Status
Not open for further replies.