• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

cockpit time

Status
Not open for further replies.

ordinary_guy

I have a few questions regarding the second and third tours for an NFO. I understand that the second is a shore tour, lasting about 30 months. How many NFO's have a flying billet for this tour? Are most on the ground flying a desk or going to school during this time? I understand that during the third tour, "the disassociated tour," the NFO is not flying regularly while on deployment. Do NFO's on their third tours fly while they're not on the carrier? Are they attached to a squadron during that time? It seems like some NFO's may spend close to six years out of the cockpit after their initial tours. Is that correct? Lastly, how often does an NFO have to fly to stay qualified?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You might fly if your disassociated tour is with a CAG staff (CV airwing). Something you have to work out with one of the embarked squadrons, but usually happens. If you are CV ship's company it won't happen. If you go for a tour without flying they simply send you through a short requal at the RAG before you go to your next fleet squadron. No big deal. Doesn't effect your career. BTW. The rotation in and out of the cockpit is the same for pilots.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Flew S-3s active and reserve as a NFO. Now fly the MD-80 for work and a classic Cessna 170B for real fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.