• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cobras anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

towbubba

boot 46 pilot
What's the deal with the AH-1Z when is it going to be in the RAG? What about the UH-1Z? Anybody know anything about the Cobra community first hand? Hueys, same question. Is it possible to be stationed accompanied overseas with either frame. How do Cobras and Hueys deploy? Will you get two MEU's before you leave or is it hard to get on float as nick the new guy? Any first-hand knowledge would be appreciated, it seems so hard to find light attack guys except for Capt Jackson at VT-2 but he scares me.
blindfold_125.gif

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
Ask any of the Marine instructors - they will be able to fill you in since squadrons generally deploy as a "composite" squadron (46's, 53's, Cobras, Hueys, and Harriers all under the same squadron CO). Still a few years away for the 4 bladed Cobra "Z" and 4 bladed Huey "Y" - skid27 can probably answer that better. On the East and West Coast's, you will attach to a 46 squadron - generally 4 Cobras and 2 Hueys (if the threat dictates, possibly more Cobras - we had 8 in Somalia). You will then pump overseas on a standard 6 month deployment. I'm not quite as up to date on the UDP's (unit deployment programs) to Okinawa but generally you go there for 6 months to a year and attach to the 31st MEU.

Almost always, you will not be able to leave a fleet squadron until you have done 2 pumps - although some will be "chosen" for a FAC tour. With the massive amount of deployments over the last 2 years, the OCD is probably a mess right now. You also do not want to float right away because it takes a year or so in your squadron to get up to speed on your fleet platform - lieutenants are still in the learning mode until you get your quals.

Finally, Cobras do the vast majority of the shooting and attack missions. Hueys do a lot of VIP missions and command & control.

Skid27

46Driver is right about the Z/Y upgrade. I think the last I heard was FY 08, but that date has slid many times. There are no HMLAs overseas. UDP is a 6 month rotation in Okinawa, but you can't bring your family. For West Coast deployments the Squadron splits into thirds and sends one third with 4/2 to the SoCal MEU. The rest of the Squadron goes to Oki where the second third takes 4/2 from the Oki birds and goes to the 31st MEU. The remainder of the Squadron functions as the MAG 36 HMLA at Futenma. You will definitely get two pumps before you leave. Most likely more, unless you are a slug. As of a couple of years ago, rotations are based on time, not on pumps or OCD. The snake community is great and a lot of fun. But be advised that your first few years will hurt a little. After all of the effort of flight school and the RAG, the fun really begins when you get to your first gun Squadron. We sh*tcanned more than a few 1 pump guys who got burned out on the workload and atmosphere ("we hate each other, but we hate you more"). Shooting ordnance is only cool for so long if you can't handle the pace. But once you have shown you are a player and get a few quals, it's a great place to be. Talk to IPs from every community while in school. Choose a lifestyle you like, instead of a platform you think is cool. You will be happier in the end.

towbubba

boot 46 pilot
Outstanding information and gives me alot to think about. Thank you gentleman for your responses and I will share the info with others. Right now I need to finish primary and get permanent South field penetration. Can't imagine changing from the Cobra now, the idea of shooting someone and making the straightlegs happy is just too cool but any helo is better than no helo.

tacamo

towbubba said:
What's the deal with the AH-1Z when is it going to be in the RAG? What about the UH-1Z? Anybody know anything about the Cobra community first hand? Hueys, same question. Is it possible to be stationed accompanied overseas with either frame. How do Cobras and Hueys deploy? Will you get two MEU's before you leave or is it hard to get on float as nick the new guy? Any first-hand knowledge would be appreciated, it seems so hard to find light attack guys except for Capt Jackson at VT-2 but he scares me.
blindfold_125.gif

Actually his name is Capt. Brown, and he is quite personable. I would recommend talking to him since he is a cobra guy. Just my 2 cents.

towbubba

boot 46 pilot
tacamo said:
Actually his name is Capt. Brown, and he is quite personable. I would recommend talking to him since he is a cobra guy. Just my 2 cents.
You're right don't I feel like a dumb*ss. Good info. :icon_wink

Status
Not open for further replies.