• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Coast Guard's Officer Need

midwestcop

I've been following USCG message boards for a couple years. I have been eligible to apply to OCS since 2007, but have waited because I am enrolled in a master's program that I wanted to first finish so I would be more competitive in the process. I'm finishing my graduate degree this year and am preparing my packet for the upcoming Blue 21 / OCS boards, but from what I've been hearing I may not have made a good choice by waiting to apply. I realize it's always been tough to become a Coast Guard officer, but some of the people on other message boards are painting a pretty grim picture of USCG officer hiring over the next few years. For instance, I heard there are only 35 people in the current OCS class, less than 10 of which came from the civilian with no prior military pool. Some people are suggesting that the 80-90 person OCS classes common for the last few years may not happen for awhile. Even worse, others are using the current OCS class to predict that there may be less than 25 civilians applicants hired per year (out of roughly 1,000 who apply). Do any of you know if this is true? If so, when do you anticipate hiring taking an upswing? Any information you could provide would be helpful. Thank you...

Brunes

pilot
Hiring upswing will come at or after the point the the economy/gov't spending issues turn the corner. It's going to be harder to get into any service and harder to promote because folks with jobs now are not going to give them up and there is not the need to grow the force.

Quick example- The CG's budget was cut by 75mil or so this year iirc...Alot of that is a LARGE throttle back on the accession paths.

I don't have any solid truths to share with you- BUT I think you have screwed yourself out of a spot by waiting. (Not to mention you could have gone to school as a CG Officer, and they'll pay for all or part of it....)

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
FWIW, the number of USCG pilots training with us has been cut in half for the forseeable future.

midwestcop

Thanks for the replies so far, even if they're not what I'm wanting to hear. I'm kicking myself for not applying two years ago. It seems like this is a case where getting a master's degree made me less competitive. I take it there's not going to be an excessive number of officers retiring any time within the next couple years? That being said, I'm still very motivated toward a USCG career. I'm preparing my packet for whenever the next OCS board will convene. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to make it the best one possible? What should my narrative include? From whom should I try to get letters of recommendations? Any tips for the interview? I'm worried that with so few spots available, those who will get the nod will have some connection to the USCG, such as a parent who served or knowing a high-ranking officer. Having lived in the midwest my whole life, I don't have any such connections. Like always, any advice you can provide is appreciated. Thanks...

navy09

None
What job do you want to do in the CG? I ask because just about anything you do in the CG can be done in the Navy too. You can get into your desired community in the Navy then try to transfer down the road. It's not guaranteed but your chances are probably better that way than applying with no mil experience.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I'm worried that with so few spots available, those who will get the nod will have some connection to the USCG, such as a parent who served or knowing a high-ranking officer. Having lived in the midwest my whole life, I don't have any such connections. Like always, any advice you can provide is appreciated. Thanks...

Don't worry about what other people have in their backgrounds during the application process... just get your application in. The other thing I strongly encourage is that, if you want to be an Officer, apply to Officer jobs that interest you in all of the services. Don't put all of your eggs in the Coast Guard basket- you may have to go with a fallback choice.

sardaddy

pilot
What job do you want to do in the CG? I ask because just about anything you do in the CG can be done in the Navy too.

You are right, most jobs can also be done in the Navy. They just won't be done as well.

Brunes

pilot
Don't know if I'd go that far...

The words "Just about" made it in there. And as far as flying- While I don't think the average Navy pilot will fly nearly as much SAR as the average CG pilot- There really isn't alot of difference. SWO side and all the other missions-I would take exception to the original comment....but aviation....More or less similar.

goopscoop

Midwestcop,
I applied to the Coast Guard last year for reserve commission and I was in the running until the fiscal year calendar screwed me on age (two months over). I believe (in addition to my masters) what helped my competitiveness on paper was my service with the Coast Guard Auxiliary. If you go this route, try to align yourself as closely as possible to your active duty counterparts. I found my fit by augmenting an active duty recruiting office and volunteering with CG Academy recruitment. There are other things you can do such as attaining every possible FEMA certification on record. You can take many classes online http://training.fema.gov/
As far as accessions, I have to agree with everyone else on their posts. The tyranny of numbers is against you on a good year, much less when the numbers are crunched due to the economic downturn. Don't discount the Navy. They picked me up when the Coast Guard closed the door on this so called "old man" and I am very grateful.