• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Coast Guard RC Helicopter

phrogpilot73

So while researching my potential future (and expensive) hobby, I stumbled across this and thought the Coasties on here might like it.

These damn helos are addictive!

Lawman

None
So while researching my potential future (and expensive) hobby, I stumbled across this and thought the Coasties on here might like it.

These damn helos are addictive!

Did your Airhog Helo last any longer then the 24 hours mine went? My cat went after it and killed its tail rotor. Now all it will do is its best impersonation of Black Hawk Down.

phrogpilot73

Did your Airhog Helo last any longer then the 24 hours mine went? My cat went after it and killed its tail rotor. Now all it will do is its best impersonation of Black Hawk Down.
The one that PSW got me for Christmas lasted until yesterday. Thought it would be an easy fix (re-solder wire to battery), then all hell broke loose. It's hard down, so I snagged another one today at the mall for $15 because it's got a green/red blinking light for Christmas. The cats are intrigued, but cautious...

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I got one of the ones in your avatar about a year ago. Fun thing to fly around the living room but going straight is a bitch.

The Coastie one is one of the easy ones to fly without a tail rotor. I should have gotten that instead of the money/parts pit I posted the picture of in the Christmas present thread.

phrogpilot73

I got one of the ones in your avatar about a year ago. Fun thing to fly around the living room but going straight is a bitch.

The Coastie one is one of the easy ones to fly without a tail rotor. I should have gotten that instead of the money/parts pit I posted the picture of in the Christmas present thread.
It is addicting, and I'm getting better... That's why I had to buy another one today. I can make it go where I want more or less, but you're right - going straight is a giant PITA.

Eventually, I want to move up to something bigger. Don't know what yet. Is this the one you got?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
No, mine is called a Sabre. I think it sells for about 100 bucks and is 4 channel. Power on to climb, power off to descend. I think the one you are showing is more like a real helicopter as far as power goes.

BTW, I forget to tell you. Glue 1 BB on to the nose of your helo and it will move forward better.

bb1125

None
I got an Air Hog for my 7 year old;) a couple of months ago and I love it. The best part is chasing the dog around the house with it. He nipped it once, but it's still flying. As for flying straight, it took me two or three days before I even noticed the yaw trim on it, but it's still a little tricky.

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
My brother-in-law gave the Apache Air Hog to my son for Christmas. After like 3hrs TT and mashing the trim like crazy, we still have to put in full right rudder to fly straight. I think we have maybe an hour left on it the way he's crashing it...

phrogpilot73

My brother-in-law gave the Apache Air Hog to my son for Christmas. After like 3hrs TT and mashing the trim like crazy, we still have to put in full right rudder to fly straight. I think we have maybe an hour left on it the way he's crashing it...
Hold it up and look at the tail (with the tail facing you), do is go straight down or off to an angle? If it's off to an angle, try gently twisting it back. Also, check the tail rotor for lint/hair/etc wrapped around the spindle.

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
Hold it up and look at the tail (with the tail facing you), do is go straight down or off to an angle? If it's off to an angle, try gently twisting it back. Also, check the tail rotor for lint/hair/etc wrapped around the spindle.

Thanks for the advice, but I was optimistic with that prediction of how much longer it would last. The last crash broke the stem that the tail is attached to. I'm going to go in for some super glue surgery and make the tail straight then.