• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Coast Guard IA

LivingSacrifice

So, when I told a buddy of mine that I was applying for a Coast Guard OCS spot with the intent of becoming an aviator, he had a little bit of a freak out. He brought up the point that my family would no longer be my first priority, that it would be the Coast Guard. I had to concede that one, but that was somewhat understood that from the get-go.

He comes from a Navy background - think he was in and out in 4 years, with a year and a half solid spent overseas. He talked about IA's (which I assume means "Inter-Agency"?), saying that at the drop of a hat I could be snatched up, borrowed by another agency and sent overseas with little to say about it. The picture he painted was one of being voluntold and essentially having promotion depend on something like that.

He tends to error on the side of conspiracy and I tend to be on the other side of that fence. But all the same, I'd love to hear and learn from the experiences of the Coastie aviators on here. Have you guys seen or heard of anything like this? In another post of mine someone said something to the effect of, "once you're in the CG, you're in." But that seems to leave room for being a Coastie that happens to be working for one of DOD's branches. Is this something to actually consider as I weigh my options? Or is this the exception to the rule (if it happens at all)?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
DISCLAIMER: Not a Coastie. But I've done 3 deployments with Coasties over the course of the GWOT.

Coasties don't do IA (Individual Augment). They support the DHS mission and do it w/out the distractions that the Navy/MC team have to endure. I wouldn't sweat his wig-out.

LivingSacrifice

Coasties don't do IA (Individual Augment). They support the DHS mission and do it w/out the distractions that the Navy/MC team have to endure. I wouldn't sweat his wig-out.

Ah, good stuff. Thanks, Gator.

What does an IA look like for Coasties? I'm completely ignorant as to what the "DHS mission" entails.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
DHS is Department of Homeland Security. It will vary w/ what platform you fly, but it's focused and specific, unlike the Navy/MC which can have missions that vary from ops in whatever theater assigned to manning desks in Iraq/Afghanistan.

As for DHS missions, think Counter-Narcotic ops, Counter-Human trafficking ops, and literally, Homeland security ops.

LivingSacrifice

Ah, I read you. I suppose I assumed DHS might have a role overseas as well that I wasn't aware of... but I guess their name sorta hints at the answer to that.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Actually, the CG does operate overseas, as well, but I'm not educated on how much their pilots play a role in that. I believe it's quite rare.

Cue Sardaddy et all.

Brunes

pilot
So, when I told a buddy of mine that I was applying for a Coast Guard OCS spot with the intent of becoming an aviator, he had a little bit of a freak out. He brought up the point that my family would no longer be my first priority, that it would be the Coast Guard. I had to concede that one, but that was somewhat understood that from the get-go.

He comes from a Navy background - think he was in and out in 4 years, with a year and a half solid spent overseas. He talked about IA's (which I assume means "Inter-Agency"?), saying that at the drop of a hat I could be snatched up, borrowed by another agency and sent overseas with little to say about it. The picture he painted was one of being voluntold and essentially having promotion depend on something like that.

He tends to error on the side of conspiracy and I tend to be on the other side of that fence. But all the same, I'd love to hear and learn from the experiences of the Coastie aviators on here. Have you guys seen or heard of anything like this? In another post of mine someone said something to the effect of, "once you're in the CG, you're in." But that seems to leave room for being a Coastie that happens to be working for one of DOD's branches. Is this something to actually consider as I weigh my options? Or is this the exception to the rule (if it happens at all)?

Your friends limited Navy experience has little to zilch for truth as far as the Coast Guard is concerned. We don't have a formal/regular IA program-We need more or less every warm body we have to get the training, support, and mission complete. So I wouldn't worry about his freak out.

And in general- the Coast Guard does a GREAT job in regards to taking care of people. There are limited aviation billets over seas and for the most part they rotate air crews on the order of 3-4 months max (if the gouge I've heard is correct-I do NOT know for sure). Normal deployments range from 2 weeks to 2-3 months (like the AVDET who flew down from Detroit to join my ship for 3 months south of Cuba...in the middle of winter)

Promotions are predicated on your performance/the needs of the service and the competition at the panel-I don't see much potential for a promotion denied for refusing a job as that doesn't get noted in your OER. Assignments/Opportunities rely on performance and needs of the service.

You aren't going to get a better gig as far as staying in the service doing the mission as you will in the CG. I know LCDRs/O4s who haven't been out of the cockpit their entire career. My mentor (CAPT/O6) and my current program manager (CAPT/O6) both still fly regularly. And there are lots of options for out of aviation tours if you are interested.

I think I rambled a bit...maybe a bit of hearsay...I hope it helps.

sardaddy

pilot
You cannot and will not be involuntarily pulled to another service. You can as explained above be sent overseas. SE Asia tours last about 6 months but again as said above they are rare.

You can be told that you are deploying and not have anything to say about it but you will be doing CG missions or joint missions. However, you will not be pulled like your friend says. Besides most of the aviators that deploy to SE Asia are volunteers.

Your friend is totally wrong.

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
I think the moral of this story is (now that the facts are out on the table) that you are gonna catch shit for your choice from everyone claiming they know the "truth". You made the decision, and from what it sounds like, you want to follow through with it with all of your heart.

Take the nay sayers, and put them to the side, you will find little use for them later.