• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Coast Guard Aviation & Blue 21 Program

laura_b

blue 21/ cspi

hey guys. i was looking to see if any of you had information on the blue 21 and cspi progams. I am currently a junior in college, going for my aviation science degree, and also have my private piltos license and am working on my instrument as well.
From what ive read, it sounds like getting a flight spot is difficult when going through ocs, is this correct? but seeing as i already have a bit of flight experience would this help my odds of being chosen?

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
hey guys. i was looking to see if any of you had information on the blue 21 and cspi progams. I am currently a junior in college, going for my aviation science degree, and also have my private piltos license and am working on my instrument as well.
From what ive read, it sounds like getting a flight spot is difficult when going through ocs, is this correct? but seeing as i already have a bit of flight experience would this help my odds of being chosen?

It's not that hard, you just have to work for it and have a little luck. Find a recruiter and use the search button. Good luck.

laura_b

ya ive been looking into it and have spoken to a recruiter a few times. was just looking into others opinions as to which would be the simpliest way as to getting a flight position.

Brunes

pilot
http://www.gocoastguard.com/find-your-fit/officer-opportunities/programs should about give you all the basics.

I'm not sure about how hard it is to get a flight spot outta OCS versus getting into OCS at all. I also think the "simplest way" to get a flight spot is a bit of a mis-nomer...it's not "simple". If you put in your end-It will work out.

Good luck and if you have more questions- Google is good- and we can help you here too.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
The above website provided by Brunes should answer your questions. As for your question about whether flight experience will aid in you getting flight school, the answer is "yes".

laura_b

ya i was looking at them both and now its more of which one program would be better..
having a set path is nice as compared to crossing your fingers and hoping.. but 11 yrs is a looong time. so i dunno but thanks for yalls help!

CoastieFlyer

Box Lunch Connoisseur
pilot
If you mean an 11 year commitment is long, trust me, it goes by FAST! I'm at 11 years now I can't believe how it's flown by.

laura_b

see my view was well at least i would be flying for those 11 yrs so how bad could it possibly be right.. i always said as long as i was lfying i would be happy, so that kinda applies lol.
but i was wondering do they let you pick the aircraft your assigned to? like bc i have flight time will they have me start over on helis or stay with the fixed wings..?

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
see my view was well at least i would be flying for those 11 yrs so how bad could it possibly be right.. i always said as long as i was lfying i would be happy, so that kinda applies lol.
but i was wondering do they let you pick the aircraft your assigned to? like bc i have flight time will they have me start over on helis or stay with the fixed wings..?
Well, you never know what the future will bring. You could get to flight school, and wash out for medical reasons, but the CG (or any other service) would still own you for your commitment (not 11 years, obviously). So flying is great, but your main priority is being an officer.

As for aircraft; well it has been a little while since I was there, but after a certain phase in primary you apply for fixed wing or helos (we don't use the word "helis", FYI). Based on the needs of the service you will get one or the other; after finishing up with the T-34 you then go to advanced learning to fly a multi-engine fixed wing or helicopter. At some point in advanced you will request where you want to be stationed and based on that (you could put down all C-130 units, or all C-144 units if you were in fixed wing advanced), and based on the needs of the service, you will ultimately get your airframe.

Also, it doesn't bother me much, but continue to ignore your keyboard's "shift" key at your own peril.;) This board is full of professional officers and enlisted folks, and the usual standards for posting are for your post to not look like a text message.:icon_tong

Any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

laura_b

I'm sorry i just get into habit of not using that lovely little key.. that would be young people for you. I actually work at an airport and am used to calling them helis. I should probably get out of those habits, huh?!
Sorry!

midwestcop

Let me first apologize for what I suspect will be a lengthy post. If you are a military aviator or have knowledge of this subject, please continue reading and give me whatever advice you can. I have been seriously considering a career in the USCG for several years and I have several questions before taking the plunge. Any input you could provide will be much appreciated.

First of all, to give you some insight on my background and situation, I'll tell you a little about myself. I am 24 years old and live in the midwest. I have a bachelor's degree in sociology and will complete my master's degree in criminal justice leadership and management in August 2010. I have been a police officer for 3.5 years and work for a medium-sized agency (160 sworn). I consistently lead my department in most statistics (arrests, traffic stops, self-initiated activity, etc.). I consider myself a hard worker and have been told I'm considered "on the fast track" to police administration. I hold a private pilot's license and will hopefully add an instrument rating by the end of 2010, which is when I intend to apply to the USCG. By that time, I should have a little over 150 hours TT with approximately 20 of those in rotary aircraft.

Aviation and law enforcement have been the only two interests I have ever had. I almost went Air Force ROTC out of high school, but changed my mind at the last minute for a career in law enforcement. I would love nothing more than to fly for the USCG. None of the other services are a serious consideration for me at this point in my life because I think a lengthy overseas deployment would be too trying on my young family.

Since I don't want to take the chance of going to OCS and not getting a pilot slot, my only viable option is the Blue 21 program. When I found out about this program two years ago, I was disappointed to learn my undergraduate degree from a respected state university wouldn't meet the minority requirement. For this reason, I chose to start on my master's degree at a school which did qualify.

If anyone has any experience with the Blue 21 program, what do you feel my chances for success are, given my level of education and work experience (I know it's a crystal ball question, but try to humor me with your best guess)? I know the program is intended to attract minority candidates, so will being a white male make it a long shot for me? Once one applies for the Blue 21 program, how long is the selection process? If not selected, can (should?) one apply again, and if so, how many times?

My next set of questions regard life as a USCG aviator. This is the one subject I really haven't been able to find much info about on the internet and what I am most interested to learn about. Since I live in the midwest, visiting an air station and talking to pilots isn't a convenient option. Before I apply, I want to make sure living as a coast guard pilot is something that will work well for me and my family.

How are duty locations selected (both initially and when time to transfer) and do pilots have any input? How often should pilots expect to stay at one station before transferring? What is a typical day like at an air station? How are the shifts/hours? What do most pilots do for housing? How does flying for the USCG affect family life?

I am interested to learn all I can about pilot deployments. Approximately how many per year? How much notice do you usually have before each deployment? How long are they? What are they like? What are the differences between helo and fixed wing deployments? What air stations have more than others? What about natural disasters? What pilots deploy for them and how long are you usally gone?

Sorry again for the long-windedness. I just haven't been able to find most of this information anywhere online and would like to learn as much about life as a coastie as possible before sending in the paperwork. This site seems to have a high number of military and USCG pilots as contributors, so I'm hoping for some helpful insight. Any other information you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your service and for taking the time to help me.

CoastieFlyer

Box Lunch Connoisseur
pilot
I'd say, at least for probably the next 5 years, selecting fixed wing out of flight school shouldn't be too difficult.

Right now we are in high need of them with replacement aircraft coming on line and most flight school students right now are trying to go helos.

Just an educated guess though! :D

CoastieFlyer

Box Lunch Connoisseur
pilot
Wowzers, that quite the post. :tongue2_1

Instead of typing away to answer all your questions, PM me and I'll give you my work number and I can answer a lot of these pertaining to life in the CG.

As far as the Blue 21 Program, I know next to nothing about it. Best source of info on this is going to be a recruiter.