• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Citizenship problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
So I talked with my recruiter and she does not have an answer for this...so I'm trying to find out on my own.

Since there is no Iranian Embassy in the US.... I was wondering how I would go about renouncing my Iranian citizenship. When I was born, my dad was not an American citizen yet so that made me an automatic dual-citizen.

THE PROBLEM: Looking at my Iranian passport, it says that the Islamic Republic of Iran does not recognize voluntary forfeiture of citizenship.

Being an officer wouldn't I need to have it renounced? If so, any ideas?

Of all the countries, I had to be a citizen of Iran and their fvcked up laws!

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The State Dept or Immigration should have the answers you seek.

Come to think of it - you're a dual citizen because you were born in the US? AFAIK, the US doesn't recognize dual citizenship after age 18. Maybe for Canada, not sure, but definitely not Iran. If you weren't going into the military (that is, going under security clearance scrutiny), I'd say don't bother. As is, it'd be a good idea just to make absolutely clear to everyone that you have no ties with the Islamic Republic.

Handsome

pilot
None
Had sort of a similar issue. I had dual citizenship with Brazil (I was born there). Anyway, prior to being commisioned, I had to write the renouncement letter to the consulate. The Brazilian government doesn't recognize this, but apparently that didn't matter to the US government. As far as the US government is concerned, I had renounced my Brazilian citizenship, surrendered my Brazilian passport, and no longer was a dual citizen, no matter what the Brazilian government stance was on this. Maybe you can just send the letter to the appropriate authority in Iran and surrender your Iranian passport and be ok. Now as far as getting a security clearance later on, that may be some trouble for you.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I would have soooooo much fun with this letter........

Dear Camel driving shithead,

I have decided to suck on the knob of the Great Satan and live in the busom of decadency. Rather than 72 virgins when I die, I'm going to try and screw them all while I'm in my twenties. 100 before turning 30 and looking at marriage is my minimum goal......

...I hope to return to Iran someday at the head of the liberating military that buries your carcass six feet deep in pig grease......

Status
Not open for further replies.