• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Churches in Pensacola

Deror

How can I make this thread more awkward?
Gentlemen,

This question is likely for a a smaller community within this forum, but I don't know anyone in FL, so figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

Can anyone recommend a church in the P'cola area? A google search of "Baptist church Pensacola" returned a huge list. My wife and I are Protestant, but not necessarily looking for a Baptist church.

Thank you

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
"Can anyone recommend a church in the P'cola area? A google search of "Baptist church Pensacola" returned a huge list. My wife and I are Protestant, but not necessarily looking for a Baptist church."

FWIW, the 1st Baptist Church on Palafox near downtown is the oldest & largest or 2nd largest. Marcus Point Baptist is probably the 2nd largest if not now larger than 1st Baptist. They are both very evangelical, so expect to be rushed if you go. This is the Buckle of the Bible Belt, so there are probably 50+ Baptist churches in the 2-county area. You are welcome at my church, Trinity Presbyterian, if you want a smaller, more reasoned atmosphere. There are a number of retired naval aviators in the congregation. You're If you just want a place to work off a hangover, the Christ Episcopal Church downtown is a wonderful example of neo-classical Roman architecture w/ the most beautiful sanctuary in Pensacola. And, of course, the whiskypalians will leave you alone to worship in your own way & at your own pace.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Before I decided to become Catholic I had gone to the Methodist church downtown a couple times, it was pretty nice.

FastMover

NFO
None
I went to First Baptist Pensacola on Palafox pretty much the whole time I was there. It's a huge church compared to the one I went to at home, but I enjoyed it. Feel free to PM with any other questions.

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
I went to Olive Baptist Church on Olive Road....Big church w/ a military friendly congregation and many small groups. They also have a weekly military luncheon (for free of course) on sundays after the 1100 service. Great food and VERY nice people....they will also gladly make you a to-go plate if you h ave to stand duty or something

ReconJos

Female Penguin Emeritus
None
Gentlemen,

They let girls fly these days too, you know :)

All kidding aside, I also went to Olive Baptist when I was in Pensacola. It is VERY "Southern Baptist" but the military ministry and luncheon are great!

If you are looking for a military-specific ministry for yourself and your wife, I highly recommend you look into the Pensacola OCF (Officers' Christian Fellowship) chapters. Last I checked there were two - one out on Perdido Key and one close to I-10 (right around the block from Olive Baptist, actually). OCF is a weekly Bible study and fellowship group that can be a fantastic support network for you and your wife. I am still in touch with most of the people from my OCF group, and I left Pensacola 9 years ago. PM me if you'd like additional information.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Gentlemen,

This question is likely for a a smaller community within this forum, but I don't know anyone in FL, so figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

Can anyone recommend a church in the P'cola area? A google search of "Baptist church Pensacola" returned a huge list. My wife and I are Protestant, but not necessarily looking for a Baptist church.

Thank you
Yelp.com says First City. 5 stars.

Your welcome.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Will also ditto on OCF. I went to the one out the back gate, PM me if you want details on the name of the couple who runs it. They're a great family and awesome how they open up their home.

Deror

How can I make this thread more awkward?
Thank you all for your replies. Looking forward to checking these places out next month.

crrider075

I'm not sure where you're planning to live, but there is an awesome church in Pace called Living Truth Church. It is a more contemporary style of church (you wear street clothes and have modern worship music) and it is really easy to get involved in any of their ministries. It's a growing church of about 150 and currently meets at S.S. Dixon Intermediate School. My wife and I just moved from Pensacola after living there about 14 months, and literally the best friends we've ever had are from that church. I would highly recommend that you check it out. http://www.livingtruthchurch.com/