• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Christians going into the service?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winchester94

Saying you're a christian is a pretty broad statement. I'm a Catholic, and I'd have to say there's a big difference in what I was taught to believe as opposed to what a Baptist or a Methodist may have been taught. Example: Catholics are encouraged to drink. Otherwise there wouldn't be some many Irish or Italian Catholics.

R_mojo1

BDCP-CEC, OCS June 05, 05
Winchester94 said:
Saying you're a christian is a pretty broad statement. I'm a Catholic, and I'd have to say there's a big difference in what I was taught to believe as opposed to what a Baptist or a Methodist may have been taught. Example: Catholics are encouraged to drink. Otherwise there wouldn't be some many Irish or Italian Catholics.

I'm a Mexican Catholic, an I'll like to have a margarita once in a while. My parents never encourage me to drink, but they never restricted the use of alcohol. That is why during my two deployments to the Med, during my enlisted years, I was able to know when to stop and how to handle alcohol, compared to some of this guys that were raised differently (Christians). I had to take them back to the ship 9 out of 10 times drunk as hell.

mbergem

Final Select Crypto, OCS 30 JUL 2005
Interesting how this is starting to get way off topic.... but I gotta add my 2 cents...

2 things said by Winchester94 I find a little troubling...

I am also a Catholic and have never been "encouraged" to drink. In fact, any priest will tell you that drunkenness is clearly a sin (It is an abuse of the body God has given you. Furthermore, how can you truly love God without a clear mind?) But, like R_mojo, I was never discouraged from drinking. Most drinking attributed to Catholics has more to do with culture than religion (eg, a friend's family is Irish and fundamentalist, they still drink very heavy. Of course I am not implying the the Irish are drunks! :eek: Just that it is not necessarily an issue of religion.)

Second, "there is a big difference in what we are taught"?! As Christians, we all believe about 90% the same. We all believe that Christ is the Son of God. He was born of the Virgin Mary. He died for our sins and that through him we have salvation. I think, with where the world seems to be headed, it is far more important for us Christians to focus on our many similarities then our few differences </rant>

Sorry about that, just had to get that one off my chest... maybe this should go to the War Room, lol. Anyway, we are all soon to be part of the great brother/sisterhood that is the United States Navy, we are all on the same team regardless of our beliefs! :)

Reactions: bch

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
mbergem said:
Second, "there is a big difference in what we are taught"?! As Christians, we all believe about 90% the same. We all believe that Christ is the Son of God. He was born of the Virgin Mary. He died for our sins and that through him we have salvation. I think, with where the world seems to be headed, it is far more important for us Christians to focus on our many similarities then our few differences </rant>

I would have to disagree. Being a Christian by definition means you believe in the God bit and Jesus as his son. Being a Catholic has much more to it than that. That's why there's Protestant and Catholics, two different Christian branches. While there are some Protestant religions that resemble Catholicism, Luthern being the closet, in no way are they Catholic.

Each religion has a different way of teaching that one belief. And each religion tacks on more to it. I've been to many different churches (Baptist, Methodist, Catholic seeing as I was brought up one).

EVERY religion (Christian, Muslim, Judiasm, Hinduism) teachs the same basic thing, though through a different medium.

You need to stop worrying about branching together as Christians and worry about branching together as a civilization. Religious differences have caused many civilizations to fall in the past.

PS: drinking in church is cool ;)

penderwt

yut king
uh, yeah, Catholics rock, what am i doing in the navy ocs section? oh well...is there a Catholic service at OCS, or is it just a general Christian get yo' praise on thang (no, that wasn't meant in any sort of mocking way or whatever, chill)

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
in pretty much every chapel I've seen on base, there's a Protestant service and a Catholic service

TargetInSight

Punk said:
in pretty much every chapel I've seen on base, there's a Protestant service and a Catholic service

Which you'll find in most places. It's really nothing to worry about, you'll find that unless you're insane- a group of people share your views, whichever direction you head on Sunday.

With that being said, you'll share a lot more- as no one gets there without wanting it really bad. There's a lot more in common than you'd think.

God, service to our Country, and Beer are all excellent common grounds to start from.

Gritty

CEC Final Select
Ohhhhhhh lookie what I've done... :eyebrows_ :mischievo

mbergem~ gonna have to agree with you... I call it! I'm on his side.

Status
Not open for further replies.