• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Christian Officers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noke

I have heard that as many as 50% of officers in the Marine Corps are Christians. A much higher number than in the enlisted ranks. I have even heard a romor of a Fellowship for Christian Officers group, that is a lot like fellowship of Christian Athletes. Is there any truth to these numbers? It would be nice to know there are other Christians entering and already in the Corps, ...other Christian "trained killing machines."

Thanks for the help,
NOKE

Logan Ridley

I am in the Navy and I have the same question about similar Christian Fellowship organizations, if anyone is familiar.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Noke,
I'm glad that you posted this topic. I'm a christian and look for the answer to the same question. I want to join the Marines as an SNA/SNFO and I want to have other chirstian Marine brother and sisters. I hope that all is going well with your OCS prep or training. Whichever it may be, do it for the Lord. Thanks.

Semper FI

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
I want some replies about this topic. Am I going to be the oddball out since I dont drink or smoke? I want to be apart of the Marine Aviation dept. and in no way do I think that I have to drink to express my masculinity. Anyone? Thanks.

Semper FI

ghost_ttu

EA-6B1, I have not been in the Marine community, however when I was consulting we would go drink every night after work. There was one guy with us that did not drink. We didn't think anything of it, he would get Sprite, we would get beer, no big deal, and guaranteed DD, so that was really cool. Just don't make a big deal about it. I have also jumped on the wagon a few times, went 4 months last year without a drop of beer, and I would still go to the bars and drink water and nobody would say a word. (I just couldn't go any longer without having a beer, so I had to rethink that diet).

I was told in a sermon once, "You know you are doing right as a Christian when the guys invite you to the bar, fully knowing that you are a Christian and knowing that you will act in such a way"

You can still enjoy camredirie in a number of ways (even at the bar), just don't pass judgement and don't bring attention to the fact that you are choosing not to drink. Most men will respect your decision.

Eliminate distractions, focus on your goals and visualize what you hope to accomplish.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Great response Ghost. Makes me feel a lot better. Thanks. Maybe we'll see one another in the fleet someday. If we do. Your drink is on me. HaHa.

Semper FI

ghost_ttu

Glad I could help, I'll either be the guy in the cadet uniform, or in the bus driver uniform in a few years. Hopefully we can just cut through both of those and I'll just be one of the guys in the green bag smiling and playing practical jokes on everyone

Eliminate distractions, focus on your goals and visualize what you hope to accomplish.

megrey06

Kingsville
To all,
First, while I cannot substantiate the numbers orignally posted, I have been exposed to many officers in the Marines who are Christians. One in particular is MajGen Grinalds who is now the Commandant of Cadets at the Citadel. There is an organization called Officer Christian Fellowship (OCF) and it is very active and has a detachment at just about every US military installation in the world. They have a website if you are curious.

I think what Ghost mentioned is good advice. Most people do not react well to those who come on too strongly, but ones own example and unconditional friendship can say alot about their faith. I also think that the fact that there may be more openly Christian officers in the Marines speaks to the convictions that the Corps instills in its members. While the Corps does not tell you that you have to go to church or anything like that, it breeds and attracts individuals who are committed and passionate by nature and that certainly befits a Christian lifestyle. The Marines (not saying the other services don't) also hold in very high regard a more traditional value system than society in general - again a common thread with men and women of faith.

Anyway, I'll quit rambling, but rest assured that you should have ample opportunity in the Corps to live and express your faith.

-Matt

Proverbs 3:5-6

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Awesome Matt. Where are you at in your road to commissioning? Keep in touch. This is a great topic.

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.
-Col.3:23-

Ghish

I am at TBS right now, and I can tell you that you will in no way be in the minority. There are many people who have the same beliefs as you guys.

-Ghish

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Awesome! God is good. Semper Fi

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.

megrey06

Kingsville
EA-6B1,
I'm applying for OCC-183 under aviation following my denial to OCC-182. I don't really have to do anything else except retake the PFT prior to the next board. Fortunately, all of my physicals, tests, etc. are still valid.

-Matt

Proverbs 3:5-6

bigfish

I can always fall back on my SAW skills
pilot
While I can not vouch for the officer corps (yet) and was not a part of the air wing, I can tell you that as a grunt there were plenty of Christians including most of the COs that passed through my unit. It will be important for you as a leader of Marines to set the example for your Mairnes. As a Christian your example will allow those that may not be as strong in their faith to feel more comfortable acting in a Christian way rather than a stereotypical Marine way. So show your Marines that it is good to display thier christianity and they will follow your lead (not all but it will affect a few).
Also, never forget that as a leader of Marines you are given a huge opportunity and responsibility, you are a leader in one of the few places in America that still allows leaders to display their faith. They sure as hell don't let you in the university sytems.

Noke

Thanks for all the replies. It is comforting to know I will have the company of so many good men.

Noke

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Semper Fi Noke. God Bless.

Status
Not open for further replies.