• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Choosing a Unit

unbroken

Naval officer
Apologies if this is a totally ignorant question, but the search function didn't yield many useful results.

How much leeway is there with regard to which unit you are initially assigned? (I am DCO intel). For example, while I applied out of the New England area, I've had a few mentors in both DC and San Diego mention that they are keen on having me drill with their unit. Both are working on some very cutting edge stuff for which I'd be willing to travel (though San Diego might be pushing it).

Is this something they need to contact my recruiter about, or how exactly does that work? Do I have any say at all in where I'm initially assigned?

Thank you.

gaj29

You need to complete all your required training through the NOSC IDC region before you can start moving to other units.

AQ-AT-NAVCIV

Citizen Sailor, Gentleman Farmer
Naval Operational Support Center, they were called Naval reserve centers years ago.

I'm in the same boat as you as far as finding a unit, I know where I want to go and they are willing to take me, just waiting for my indoc drill at the NOSC to figure out how to make that happen. I'm also waiting on everything getting processed and in the systems.

unbroken

Naval officer
you can always get into the VTU...then look around.

Okay, how does that work exactly? I know VTU is Volunteer Training Unit, but is this what all SELRES units are? Or is it a certain type? And if so, is it used to supplement, or in lieu of, SELRES obligations?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
you can always get into the VTU...then look around.
BAD GOUGE . . . do not ask about going to the VTU. The VTU is for people who are in the IRR, not SELRES. You're going to get some freaking weird looks at best if you show up as a brand-new SELRES asking to drop to the VTU. People who end up in the VTU are people who don't have the time commitment to be SELRES, but still want to accumulate retirement points. It's called the "VTU" because they don't get paid. Since they're IRR, they also don't have to do AT every year.

What you can do if you don't have a home is go to the unit that's generally next door to the VTU, the OSU or Operational Support Unit. The OSU is basically a catchall for people who are not assigned to one of the NOSC's local units. There are two people permanently assigned, an unrestricted line LCDR Officer-in-Charge and a unit Chief. You can ask to be assigned to the OSU in a status known as IAP or In Assignment Processing. This is a status that's designed for people either just showing up or who are between billets for various admin reasons. You get 90 days from the time you show up to find a home. This will give you a chance to actually learn the Reserves and pick people's brains.

There are two ways to get a home. A local fill, or being cross-assigned out. A local fill has nothing to do with where you live, but it's designed for people who are within driving distance of the unit. If you're a local fill, you are expected to be present for every one of the unit's drill periods, after traveling there on your own dime. Paying 100% out of pocket travel is the downside to a local fill. Oftentimes, as officers get more senior (by which I mean CDRs and CAPTs), this can eat into their drill pay. By regulation, the CO of a unit MUST be a local fill. But sometimes, hypothetically, the CO could live in Oregon and be slated to command a unit in San Diego. Tough luck; better get your frequent flyer miles. But as a local fill, you get your FITREP written by the CO of an operational unit.

Being cross-assigned out means that your TRUIC (training unit) is at one reserve center, and your UMUIC (mobilization unit; your actual billet) is at another. All cross-assigned out Sailors are entitled to what's known as IDTT (Inactive Duty Training Travel) once per quarter. That means the Navy will pay you travel and per diem to drill at your UMUIC. Your cross-assigned unit also owns your AT every year; you go where they say. Every other drill weekend, you have a choice. If you want to foot the bill, you can travel to your UMUIC on your own dime. Otherwise, you have the right to drill at your TRUIC as part of the OSU. OSUs (or at least my OSU) are essentially run by a pickup team of Officers, Chiefs, and First Classes who help the OIC and SEL create a more or less functioning military unit.

The downsides of being cross-assigned are that you need to be attached to a good unit who is willing to support cross-assigned Sailors. They're the redheaded stepchildren of the Navy Reserve. You can help this by footing your own bill for travel. This will get you face time with the CO and allow you to participate. Much as taking a non-local local fill, though, that may mean that you're essentially drilling for points only, because you're using your drill pay to pay for getting there and back. Conversely, if you're unemployed on the civ side, or need that drill money for your family, you can show up once a quarter. The downside there is the goodwill of your mobilization unit; you'll be the random person who shows up, eats a slot on their books, and doesn't contribute. Your FITREP will be a food fight between the OSU OIC or your cross-assigned CO, unless you're cross-assigned into a commissioned unit, such as a flying squadron. If you're attached to a commissioned unit, the unit CO will own paper on you even if you're cross-assigned in. This can be bad, because remember what I said about being the schmuck who shows up once a quarter? Congrats, you're now the cannon fodder for people who show up every day.

Additionally, you can end up in a unit where the OPSO or OSO don't understand how to manage funds. You'll put in a request for IDTT that quarter and get told "there's no money." First off, know that this is unadulterated bullshit; an OSO can go to Reserve Forces Command and ask them to pull funds from some other lazy schmuck who's not spending them. Second, you're kind of stuck if you're not in a position to make them understand that. In which case, you're stuck at the OSU. Which is OK for brief periods, but not necessarily career-enhancing.

Last edited:

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...How much leeway is there with regard to which unit you are initially assigned? (I am DCO intel). For example, while I applied out of the New England area, I've had a few mentors in both DC and San Diego mention that they are keen on having me drill with their unit. Both are working on some very cutting edge stuff for which I'd be willing to travel (though San Diego might be pushing it).

Is this something they need to contact my recruiter about, or how exactly does that work? Do I have any say at all in where I'm initially assigned?.

You need to complete all your required training through the NOSC IDC region before you can start moving to other units.

Before we go down the path of recommending that this guy go to VTU's or anything else outside the norm I would heed the first reply given to you on this thread, work with your local NOSC IDC folks before doing anything else. If you make a career of the reserves you will have plenty of opportunities to go off to other areas and do other things after your initial tour.

Edit: For the OP, the reserve IDC community actually manages its officers and enlisted unlike most other reserve communities where it is basically a free-for-all. So I would leave it to them to ensure you are set up in the initial stages of your career.

Last edited:

rotorhead1871

UH-1N.....NAS Agana, Guam....circa 1975
pilot
Okay, how does that work exactly? I know VTU is Volunteer Training Unit, but is this what all SELRES units are? Or is it a certain type? And if so, is it used to supplement, or in lieu of, SELRES obligations?
you can get your years in the VTU, IRR, or.....SELRES...ie: in a pay billet, pay billets are nice!!......but you gotta get one...otherwise its VTU or IRR.......no matter what.....get them good years!!.....cus it pays nice in the 60th year.

good luck!

unbroken

Naval officer
Thanks for clarifying. On a somewhat related point, do we need to get our security clearance before we commission and report to our unit, or is there a temporary one or something of the sort? I was on a clearance for another job, but unfortunately it recently expired, so I expect to go through the process again.

rotorhead1871

pilot
I dont know your situation, but if you were on active duty, you should already have a clearance and it should be active or easy to reactivate. ALWAYS keep copies of the SF86 so you can remember what you submitted the last time, I have had many clearances-- military and industry, and you always want to have data continuity, or you will get to explain yourself to more than one set of interviewers....I have been there and it can be a pain.

rotorhead1871

pilot
BAD GOUGE . . . do not ask about going to the VTU. The VTU is for people who are in the IRR, not SELRES. You're going to get some freaking weird looks at best if you show up as a brand-new SELRES asking to drop to the VTU. People who end up in the VTU are people who don't have the time commitment to be SELRES, but still want to accumulate retirement points. It's called the "VTU" because they don't get paid. Since they're IRR, they also don't have to do AT every year.

What you can do if you don't have a home is go to the unit that's generally next door to the VTU, the OSU or Operational Support Unit. The OSU is basically a catchall for people who are not assigned to one of the NOSC's local units. There are two people permanently assigned, an unrestricted line LCDR Officer-in-Charge and a unit Chief. You can ask to be assigned to the OSU in a status known as IAP or In Assignment Processing. This is a status that's designed for people either just showing up or who are between billets for various admin reasons. You get 90 days from the time you show up to find a home. This will give you a chance to actually learn the Reserves and pick people's brains.

There are two ways to get a home. A local fill, or being cross-assigned out. A local fill has nothing to do with where you live, but it's designed for people who are within driving distance of the unit. If you're a local fill, you are expected to be present for every one of the unit's drill periods, after traveling there on your own dime. Paying 100% out of pocket travel is the downside to a local fill. Oftentimes, as officers get more senior (by which I mean CDRs and CAPTs), this can eat into their drill pay. By regulation, the CO of a unit MUST be a local fill. But sometimes, hypothetically, the CO could live in Oregon and be slated to command a unit in San Diego. Tough luck; better get your frequent flyer miles. But as a local fill, you get your FITREP written by the CO of an operational unit.

Being cross-assigned out means that your TRUIC (training unit) is at one reserve center, and your UMUIC (mobilization unit; your actual billet) is at another. All cross-assigned out Sailors are entitled to what's known as IDTT (Inactive Duty Training Travel) once per quarter. That means the Navy will pay you travel and per diem to drill at your UMUIC. Your cross-assigned unit also owns your AT every year; you go where they say. Every other drill weekend, you have a choice. If you want to foot the bill, you can travel to your UMUIC on your own dime. Otherwise, you have the right to drill at your TRUIC as part of the OSU. OSUs (or at least my OSU) are essentially run by a pickup team of Officers, Chiefs, and First Classes who help the OIC and SEL create a more or less functioning military unit.

The downsides of being cross-assigned are that you need to be attached to a good unit who is willing to support cross-assigned Sailors. They're the redheaded stepchildren of the Navy Reserve. You can help this by footing your own bill for travel. This will get you face time with the CO and allow you to participate. Much as taking a non-local local fill, though, that may mean that you're essentially drilling for points only, because you're using your drill pay to pay for getting there and back. Conversely, if you're unemployed on the civ side, or need that drill money for your family, you can show up once a quarter. The downside there is the goodwill of your mobilization unit; you'll be the random person who shows up, eats a slot on their books, and doesn't contribute. Your FITREP will be a food fight between the OSU OIC or your cross-assigned CO, unless you're cross-assigned into a commissioned unit, such as a flying squadron. If you're attached to a commissioned unit, the unit CO will own paper on you even if you're cross-assigned in. This can be bad, because remember what I said about being the schmuck who shows up once a quarter? Congrats, you're now the cannon fodder for people who show up every day.

Additionally, you can end up in a unit where the OPSO or OSO don't understand how to manage funds. You'll put in a request for IDTT that quarter and get told "there's no money." First off, know that this is unadulterated bullshit; an OSO can go to Reserve Forces Command and ask them to pull funds from some other lazy schmuck who's not spending them. Second, you're kind of stuck if you're not in a position to make them understand that. In which case, you're stuck at the OSU. Which is OK for brief periods, but not necessarily career-enhancing.

just a note as its been awhile since I retired (1995)..as I remember, ..the VTU is a good place to start...AND, if you are in the IRR, you dont need to drill at all just do your courses. If you are not in the IRR and want to get into a pay billet, you can start at the VTU to see what units also drill out of that reserve center. IF you really dont want to drill in the VTU, then transfer to the IRR. but the VTU is not for IRR members, as far as I know. IN my day, you dont have to drill in person.(.non-pay...VTU) if you are an IRR person....the VTU and the IRR are 2 different things.

I hope this helps.