• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Chaplain for off-base ceremony?

Do Navy Chaplains preside over ceremonies that are not on base or in a military chapel? I looked over some pages about Chaplains and weddings, but they all refer to doing them on base as opposed to some other location. Thanks in advance!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Do Navy Chaplains preside over ceremonies that are not on base or in a military chapel? I looked over some pages about Chaplains and weddings, but they all refer to doing them on base as opposed to some other location. Thanks in advance!

Chaplains are independently ordained ministers of their respective churches - no different from civilian clergy. Besides, the religious portion of the ceremony is for your benefit only. What makes it legal is the paperwork you sign from the state.

Brett

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!

I know that Army Chaplains may perform ceremonies off base as long as they don't conflict with their scheduled duties. I would assume it would be the same for Navy Chaplains as well, but keep in mind what assume spells. :D

RetreadRand said:
I would still be prepared to compensate them for their time...

Certainly I planned on that, but wasn't sure if it was possible at all. Thanks for the input, I'll give them a call.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Certainly I planned on that, but wasn't sure if it was possible at all. Thanks for the input, I'll give them a call.

I would be surprised if monetary compensation was kosher, but just ask the Chaplain what the SOP is.

Brett

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
Normally, "payments" made to a minister are in fact donations to their ministry. I suspect that the same thing would apply to a chaplain.

For anyone who's interested, I called the Chaplain's office at Pearl Harbor about a wedding on North Shore, Oahu. The PO I spoke with thought that it was doubtful that any of the Chaplains would travel that far (about an hour or so), especially since I wasn't a regular attendee at their church. Anyway, now I know. Thanks again

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For anyone who's interested, I called the Chaplain's office at Pearl Harbor about a wedding on North Shore, Oahu. The PO I spoke with thought that it was doubtful that any of the Chaplains would travel that far (about an hour or so), especially since I wasn't a regular attendee at their church. Anyway, now I know. Thanks again

Why do you want a Navy Padre?

Brett

snake020

Contributor
/threadjack

Here in AK, you don't even need a chaplain or justice of the peace. State law gives any resident the power to legally preside over a marriage... just a few months ago we had an E-3 have another E-3 preside over his marriage which they spontaneously set up in the break room of our engine shop here on base. A couple of Senior NCOs in the break room saw what was happening and made a quick exit.

Running joke at our base regarding military marriages; this post brought it to mind