• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Change of Command

EWU12

"That's a true fact"
pilot
Contributor
Hey all,

Turns out I am going to be heading up the planning for my outgoing Skipper in September timeframe. If any of you other fine lads and lasses out there have planned a Squadron CoC recently, any planning lists/gouge/do's+don'ts/lessons learned would be MUCH appreciated.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey all,

Turns out I am going to be heading up the planning for my outgoing Skipper in September timeframe. If any of you other fine lads and lasses out there have planned a Squadron CoC recently, any planning lists/gouge/do's+don'ts/lessons learned would be MUCH appreciated.
Your squadron should have an instruction or POA&M from the last CoC with all that stuff In it. That’s usually a good place to start. Your TYPEWING or base may also have an instruction that will be helpful.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Ask the Skipper if he wants anything specific. Other than anything asked for, follow previous POA&Ms. Anything more is just you creating pain for yourself.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Schedule the band first, they are the hardest. Then find out where the last ten CoC’s have happened, make sure you do it there, as the grommets for hanging the flag will already be installed and the cords for the PA system will probably reach.

Setup of a stage will generally be contracted, and the chairs will be sourced on base via a mix of MWR or contractors (depending on where you are).
Have a couple CPO’s on the CoC team that will run your A Working Party to set up all that random shit (chairs, tables, side boy line) and make sure they get involved early.

Script is fairly formulaic, don’t reinvent the wheel. Get the programs done early and over to the front office for chops, always takes more time than you think.

Identify any big hurdles, like flight line access, outside agency coordination, reception areas, any family members that are crippled and need an elevator, etc.

Finally, your rehearsal will probably only be the day prior.
We had an LT run it last year when I was CSD so he could get the proper face time and opportunities to lead, it was good for him. Lots of last minute shit will pop up, have a few guys with trucks available in case you need that run for something at the last second.

Pickle

Pags

N/A
pilot
What he said!!
Proofread the invite!!! Get it to printer pronto; proofread again after printing!!!
Repeat for program!!
Your buddies in JOPA may try and compromise the integrity of the change of command binder. Be careful. Even if your front office has a sense of humor, others may not.

Find a friendly DH, likely the AdminO, to help you out with expectations, top cover, etc.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Your buddies in JOPA may try and compromise the integrity of the change of command binder. Be careful. Even if your front office has a sense of humor, others may not.

Find a friendly DH, likely the AdminO, to help you out with expectations, top cover, etc.
There's a way to "re-seal" bottled water, so that your outgoing CO can get a refreshing swig of bargain brand vodka, as they attempt to wet their whistle. I may have fallen "victim" to this CoC tradition.

wiseguy04

The Dude abides....
pilot
Hound your front office early for their guest list. You’re doing them a favor. Nothing worse than invitations going out two days prior (which actually happens quite a bit...)