• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Chances of Getting Picked Up

GunnerGoneMadd

Hello Everyone,

I’m going through the medical process to come back into the military (prior AF). I have my consultation for the last medical hurdles next week and am starting to look at the next steps. The next boards that are coming up are for DCO slots and I’m not sure if my situation applies and if I should just stick with OCS.

After I separated I got my BS and MS in Mechanical Engineering, both with a 3.89 gpa. I’ve been working in industry for 4 years now, for a major DoD contractor. I have an active TS, with a couple of years left before my re-investigation and I scored a 65 on my OAR. I’m planning on getting LOR’s from my Chief ME at work and an O5 I used to fly with.

Thanks for your insight.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hello Everyone,

I’m going through the medical process to come back into the military (prior AF). I have my consultation for the last medical hurdles next week and am starting to look at the next steps. The next boards that are coming up are for DCO slots and I’m not sure if my situation applies and if I should just stick with OCS.

After I separated I got my BS and MS in Mechanical Engineering, both with a 3.89 gpa. I’ve been working in industry for 4 years now, for a major DoD contractor. I have an active TS, with a couple of years left before my re-investigation and I scored a 65 on my OAR. I’m planning on getting LOR’s from my Chief ME at work and an O5 I used to fly with.

Thanks for your insight.

I'm confused, are you apply for OCS (active duty) or DCO (reserve)? If the answer is DCO, the OAR exam is not a requirement to apply.

Perhaps you should double check with your recruiter on what exactly you're doing. Once that's done, suggest you check out the various board threads out there on this page to see where you stack against others - it helps consolidate posts instead of every single person posting a "hey guys what are my odds?" post, like yourself (no offense).

Good luck.

GunnerGoneMadd

I'm confused, are you apply for OCS (active duty) or DCO (reserve)? If the answer is DCO, the OAR exam is not a requirement to apply.

Perhaps you should double check with your recruiter on what exactly you're doing. Once that's done, suggest you check out the various board threads out there on this page to see where you stack against others - it helps consolidate posts instead of every single person posting a "hey guys what are my odds?" post, like yourself (no offense).

Good luck.
Thank you, that clears it up. My intent is to go active duty and I’ll ensure that my package goes to the right board. I’ll look around through the threads for these. Thanks

I would be very surprised if you didn't get picked up for OCS with those stats. That's a very high GPA with a master's in a technical field and you also have a strong OAR score. Your background and experience will help a little, but GPA and OAR are the two most important things to have solid.

The work experience matters more if you were trying to go the reserve route, which you're probably in a good spot to do as well if you want.

Just talk to a recruiter and figure out what you want to do. You're odds are good either way.

exNavyOffRec

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for your insight.
I would work on getting your medical straight that can often be the biggest hang up. If you have a VA rating of 30% or higher that can be a huge hurdle.

GunnerGoneMadd

I would be very surprised if you didn't get picked up for OCS with those stats. That's a very high GPA with a master's in a technical field and you also have a strong OAR score. Your background and experience will help a little, but GPA and OAR are the two most important things to have solid.

The work experience matters more if you were trying to go the reserve route, which you're probably in a good spot to do as well if you want.

Just talk to a recruiter and figure out what you want to do. You're odds are good either way.
Awesome, thank you for the insight and opinion.

GunnerGoneMadd

I would work on getting your medical straight that can often be the biggest hang up. If you have a VA rating of 30% or higher that can be a huge hurdle.
Yep, that’s the first thing and the biggest obstacle. I’ve been through MEPS again and have a consult coming up soon for some of the VA stuff. Thanks for the insight!