• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Chances of getting into OCS

bwlcoolidge

I have been researching the USCG for a while now and think it would be a great fit for me. I've found out the the 9-5 (in my case its 2pm 10pm) rat race corporate job is just not for me. I don't like being stuck in a factory all day so I am seeking a job that provides a sense of self worth and self pride.

I finally got a hold of a recruiter the other day and my first impression is that it is hard as hell to get selected for OCS and just as hard to go the enlisted route. Don't quote me but I think he said that the last OCS class had 30 people in it and 24 were already enlisted in the USCG. That means that 6 people were pulled of the street and I'm assuming that in the whole country!

I think I'm fairly competitive with
-5 years experience in management
-a very mediocre undergrad GPA of 2.5
-a lot better GPA in my masters which is currently a 3.7 and I will be finished with that in August
-three great recommendations from coworkers
-small blemish on the criminal record in college but everything was dropped

I will be 28 in June...are there age limits for pilots? I was looking into the Navy as well but I'm too old to be an aviator. I think that there are more jobs in the USCG that I would like if I for some reason I couldn't get aviation.

Can anyone give me some insight on the selection process or tell me if they think I'm competitive. Thanks

Brad

sardaddy

pilot
Sure you are competitive. Your chances are 50/50. You either get selected or you don't. Yes, there are age limits for becoming a piot or becoming an officer in general and you are right at the cusp.

The process is pretty simple. You compile your packet which includes physicals, your transcripts etc. You then meet with a group of three officers and they evaluate you and determine if you are compatible. They add their findings to your packet and it is then sent to a selection board. There, your packet is put up against other packets and the best packet wins.

Good luck.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have been researching the USCG for a while now and think it would be a great fit for me. I've found out the the 9-5 (in my case its 2pm 10pm) rat race corporate job is just not for me. I don't like being stuck in a factory all day so I am seeking a job that provides a sense of self worth and self pride.

I finally got a hold of a recruiter the other day and my first impression is that it is hard as hell to get selected for OCS and just as hard to go the enlisted route. Don't quote me but I think he said that the last OCS class had 30 people in it and 24 were already enlisted in the USCG. That means that 6 people were pulled of the street and I'm assuming that in the whole country!

I think I'm fairly competitive with
-5 years experience in management
-a very mediocre undergrad GPA of 2.5
-a lot better GPA in my masters which is currently a 3.7 and I will be finished with that in August
-three great recommendations from coworkers
-small blemish on the criminal record in college but everything was dropped

I will be 28 in June...are there age limits for pilots? I was looking into the Navy as well but I'm too old to be an aviator. I think that there are more jobs in the USCG that I would like if I for some reason I couldn't get aviation.

Can anyone give me some insight on the selection process or tell me if they think I'm competitive. Thanks

Brad

Note 1: Recommend you pick best coworker recommendation and drop the rest. In fact, coworker would flag to me that you impressed that person, but didn't impress your supervisor and were avoiding anyone you worked for currently or in past. Better mix is a professor and a supervisor and a serving Coast Guard Officer. 3 coworkers is not going to make you competitive.

Note 2: If you were arrested, it's going to show up in a background check. See many, many theads here on what remains even if charges dropped, recorded expunged etc. When Govt asks, everything surfaces. Just fess up and tell your story.

Brunes

pilot
I'm very sure the word ont he street is correct. The CG just released a message offering voluntary separation to a wide variety of specialties, both officer and enlisted, up to and including voiding OBLISERV for some.
The CG as a whole is about 1500 bodies over budget right now- and doing everything they can to cut that back.

It was a highly competitive program to get into before the slow down in production...Good luck all the same!!

positiveg89

From what I've been reading on the Coast Guard OCS Portal, it's not looking very good for those of us trying to get it. The 07-10 board is the last one listed on the GoCG website, and it looks like people on the OCS Portal website are focusing more on that. Any idea what the next board would be and possible deadline dates?

It seems like getting a Navy slot, while not easy, is much easier than CG right now. Would it be possible to get a Navy slot and try to DCA into the Coast Guard before my Navy commitment is over? I don't mean go to flight school with the Navy and try to go CG (pretty sure there's no chance that'd happen). More like joining the Navy, then after a tour or two going for it?

Edit: Found info that the next board will probably have a deadline of Jan/Feb '11.

CoastieFlyer

Box Lunch Connoisseur
pilot
From what I've been reading on the Coast Guard OCS Portal, it's not looking very good for those of us trying to get it. The 07-10 board is the last one listed on the GoCG website, and it looks like people on the OCS Portal website are focusing more on that. Any idea what the next board would be and possible deadline dates?

It seems like getting a Navy slot, while not easy, is much easier than CG right now. Would it be possible to get a Navy slot and try to DCA into the Coast Guard before my Navy commitment is over? I don't mean go to flight school with the Navy and try to go CG (pretty sure there's no chance that'd happen). More like joining the Navy, then after a tour or two going for it?

Edit: Found info that the next board will probably have a deadline of Jan/Feb '11.

Not quite sure on that one but I don't think you can DCA with an active commitment. You would probably have to serve it before you could even apply to the DCA program. By the time you did that, who knows what the status on Coast Guard aviation will be.

We might all be flying UAV's from the CIC of cutters......I'm kidding of course.

positiveg89

Thanks for the replies. It sucks that I'll have to wait till' next year to apply but I think it will be ultimately worth it.

Another (perhaps pointless) question: I'd like to join the Coast Guard Aux so I can add that to my package (and it looks like you get to do some cool stuff too). Do you guys look down on the Coast Guard Aux like the USAF looks down on CAP? Would this help or hurt me?

Brunes

pilot
I wouldn't say we "look down on them" but it seems that the majority of Aux members are older guys who just want to stay involved a little bit. It'll show interest...but I'm not sure how much it'll really improve your package.

positiveg89

I wouldn't say we "look down on them" but it seems that the majority of Aux members are older guys who just want to stay involved a little bit. It'll show interest...but I'm not sure how much it'll really improve your package.

No kidding. There used to be a Commander 115 based at the FBO I used to work at which was onwed/flown by these Coast Guard Aux guys who were so old they should probably not even be behind the wheel of a car. They'd look kind of ridiculous walking across the ramp with their flight suits and life jackets.

I'd like to do something that'd make me stand out in the application. I'm not sure if this is it though.

positiveg89

Well gentleman, I'm not asking anyone to hold my hand through the process, so to speak. But I called the national USCG recruiter number which led me to the Miami recruiter's office. I got an automated message saying that they are not currently accepting walk-ins, thanks, and bye. What should I do now?

Brunes

pilot
I would keep trying if the CG is really your goal. The economy being bad means the service will contract...so they are pretty full right now (so full in fact the just released a message saying they will consider requests for volunteer separation from ANYONE)

positiveg89

I would keep trying if the CG is really your goal. The economy being bad means the service will contract...so they are pretty full right now (so full in fact the just released a message saying they will consider requests for volunteer separation from ANYONE)

Thank you, Sir. Crappy time to be graduating from college right now:(.

Brunes

pilot
No worries man- Keep your nose clean and keep working on it and something will come along. Good luck!!!