• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cft

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
At first, the video looked like a bunch of kids running around in gym class. Once they got into more detail on each portion it actually looked a litle bit more organized. Those buddy drags are a bitch if you've been running all day. A friend of mine with the 1/7 said they did the CFT the other day and it was kind of fun.

Pat_Lucas

Dumb New Guy
Contributor
I suspect that it will be fun, unless your being graded on it. If you noticed in the video it looked like some of the marines were cheese-dicking it. It will be interesting to see what the grading parameters are. I think it is a good idea overall, but the grenade toss looks a bit ridiculous.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
It will be interesting to see what the grading parameters are.
According to Marine Corps Times, Oct. 1 2009 it will be a scored test. To score perfect you will need to do the 880 yd run in 2:45 or less (age 17-26), 91 ammo can lifts, and do the maneuver-under-fire in 2:14 or less. To just pass this year its 3:48 for the run, 45 lifts and 3:29.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
This is going to be hilarious when fleet squadrons do this and have failures at the cyclic rate.

I'm not saying I agree with the way PT is run in the airwing, but to get airwing Marines on par with a grunt level of physical fitness would take a big change in the way we do business, and it's not going to happen. Grunts have nothing but time... maintainers, not so much.

Raptor2216

This is going to be hilarious when fleet squadrons do this and have failures at the cyclic rate.

I'm not saying I agree with the way PT is run in the airwing, but to get airwing Marines on par with a grunt level of physical fitness would take a big change in the way we do business, and it's not going to happen. Grunts have nothing but time... maintainers, not so much.

I agree. On the bright side, VT-7 is trying to make it "aviatior friendly"...and i'm perfectly fine with that.

Clux4

Banned

Yeap. Finding the motivation to run after a day of active work is easier said than done. Maintainers both ground and air have similar experiences.
But as you know, Marine Corps policies are desgined and approved by non-support MOS types( read grunt) who have ALL the time in the world.

Kinda like the battle buddy program. Marines have work to do and deadlines to meet. Insisting that we go everywhere with a buddy is hardly possible. So everytime I need to leave the shop, I need to pull someone from their job to walk with me to wherever I need to go. Who is going to do the job that Marine left behind. Mind you, T/O is short !!

I also do not agree with the current PFT system but I am yet to see anything that will adequately test everyones physical abilities. Hell, there are problems with the way the PFT's are monitored now how much more when you include the CFT. With the Ammo can, is there a prescribed way you have to lift them. Is this going to be over the head, do you have to bring them down to your chest or just break the plane? Who is going out to make sure the Ammo cans all way the prescribed weight. Soon enough, Marines will be sent back home from a PME school because they could not lift the Ammo can 85 times.(CFT failure!!)

Let us see how long this thing will last?

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Good initiative, bad execution...I think it will take 2 guys a full day just to set that shit up. Then trying to get the entire command through it...with people properly running it, timing it, etc.

My biggest question (as a non-Marine) is how do you pick yer CFT-buddy? I got the biggest dude in OCS for Buddy Bear Crawls and while he had an easy time (I weigh 165) I barely made it (he was about 235)

And let me guess, the females probably have to do like 12 lifts and get forever and a day to do the other portions...but they are still equal:D

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I went to the demonstration given by the Colonel who designed this thing. While painful, I don't think that the execution (on an individual basis) will be all that hard. Probably about the same as a double o-course. Painful, but doable.

The big problem here is going to be timing and logistics. I have 650 Marines in my squadron. How the hell am I going to get them all done at once? Answer: I'm not. We'll have to do this event about 15 times to cycle everybody through. Every 6 months.

This is going to be wildly unstandardized. Variations in weight, ground type (sand vs. grass, etc), tempature, and wind will be huge. They'll make a big difference.

BTW, the ammo can has to go to a lock-out position above your head and has to come beneath your chin. You can use your legs to help get momentum. Females have a much lower standard to meet, but no surprises there. We're still just as equal, despite the facts.

Enjoy.

Bolter

pilot
At least now I'll feel comfortable that if we are ever based in a forward area and we come under attack, my place captain will be able to start me up, throw a grenade at the advancing enemy, shoot his way into the bushes, carry our casualties back to the aid station, and then be back in time to taxi me out to the hold short.

phrogpilot73

Grunts have nothing but time... maintainers, not so much.
+1. When I was in the battalion, they were shocked when I explained just how much the wing works. They were absolutely flabbergasted when I told them the ACE had just worked through 3 weekends. "Why?" they asked. "Because they needed to have up aircraft to support you on Monday."
At least now I'll feel comfortable that if we are ever based in a forward area and we come under attack, my place captain will be able to start me up, throw a grenade at the advancing enemy, shoot his way into the bushes, carry our casualties back to the aid station, and then be back in time to taxi me out to the hold short.
Don't forget that he'll also be able to hand you 45 ammo cans to store in your spacious cockpit. ;)

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I wonder if the Navy is going to develop something similar using skills useful on board ship, etc?

You mean like sleeping half the day, eating midrats (triple double?), and playing Guitar Hero for 3 hours? Maybe cap it off with a 1v0?

That sounds like way more fun.:D