• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CEC in the IRR

lostSeaBee

SeaBee Memorial
Are there any CEC Officers out there who are currently in the IRR? I have been in the IRR since 2010, and I am willing to share what I've learned.

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
There really aren't a lot of CEC officers who frequent this board. I am one of the few (currently SELRES). Most come on here during the application process and once they ship to OCS get too busy.

Anything in particular you are willing to share? Goodness knows any information on going IRR, what you do, if anything, to keep getting good years while IRR and the process to return to SELRES/AD from IRR (if that is what you are doing/did) is great to have available online here. Were you AD to IRR or did you do any SELRES time?

lostSeaBee

SeaBee Memorial
I'm glad there are some CEC here. I was SELRES from 2002 to 2010, and then transferred to the IRR. Getting good years in the IRR was fairly simple. I would complete a few NETC courses each year and that was it. In October 2014 the Navy changed the courses they accepted and removed the NETC courses. Now it is mainly DAU, JMPO, and some others. The courses I have done this year and last year are through Emergency Management (http://www.training.fema.gov/is/crslist.aspx). These courses are straight forward and apply to my civilian occupation, but there are only enough courses for a few good years. I generally do between 35 and 40 points and that plus the 15 gratuity points earn above the minimum of 50 points for a qualifying year toward retirement. Then I call PERS-912 and they fax me my Statement of Service. I have not tried to re-enter through SELRES or AD. I was promoted from LT to LCDR while in the IRR.

Darci2015

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to get some viewpoints on my OCS packet. I was previously pro rec' for SWO when I was 29 which was my second choice at the time. SWO board was before CEC so I told my OR that I wanted to wait for the CEC results and that was pretty much the last time he put any effort towards me. I think he felt that I wasn't serious about becoming an officer. He stopped picking up his phone, pretty much didn't respond to my email and when I decided to drop by the office I was told I can't see him without an appointment. That was over a year ago. Now I'm applying for CEC of course, and my stats are as follows:

31 years old
High School Math Teacher
Masters Thesis in Imdustrial Engineering
MMA amateur fighter
2 years kickboxing coach
High school wrestling coach
Entrepreneur (own an operating mechanic shop)

I didn't take the EIT exam yet but I've registered for a refresher course and will be taking it around February. Does anyone know when they will hold the next CEC board and what are my chances?

lostSeaBee

SeaBee Memorial
Darci, I wish I had some information for you, but I've been out of the SELRES loop for a while. Traditionally two big points for CEC officers were the PE and a masters degree. I was 30 when I received my commission, so I don't see age being a big deal. It is a very different Navy world since I received my commission which was a few months after 911. We have had pretty large force reductions.

terry

The next CEC board is the end of October but the deadline for that was last month; the one thereafter is the end of January.