• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Carry Weapon Capacity

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
9mm=
.380 Auto?
.357 Magnum?
9x18 Makarov?
.357 SIG? <- an awesome round, wish it was more popular

9x19mm is a fine round nowadays. Get some Federal HST or Gold Dots and you're set. I've got a .380, which I think is marginal, but sometimes the situation dictates the carry. I like Buffalo Bore, which may help make up for the loss of velocity with the smaller case.

9x19 Federal HST is loaded in my nightstand pistol and my carry pistol. I practice with it, mostly because its cheap(er). I prefer the lighter recoil in 9mm in polymer guns over 40sw, which means I practice more often, which (hopefully) leads to more proficiency.

Someone should get on designing a cartridge with the price and recoil of 22lr and the stopping power of .45. This whole "making profits" nonsense is for the birds.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I don't feel undergunned with a 9mm in any way. As always it's the hits that count (and where the hits are). Bullet designs have come a long way in the last 10 years too. That said, a .45 ACP doesn't have to expand to make a .45 cal hole. I like knowing that.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
9mm
.357 Magnum?
.357 SIG? <- an awesome round, wish it was more popular

I'll be That Guy: I hate 9mm.

.357 Mag is one of my favorite cartridges, but too heavy (read: painful) for a snubbie, so no good for CCW. A round designed to crack engine blocks doesn't sound like what I'd want in a bedside gun, either.

.357 Sig is a round I wanted to love, but it's (and this is my subjective, unscientific opinion) too "snappy" to shoot accurately, comfortably.

.40 S&W or .45 ACP all day, every day. If it was good enough for McArthur to shoot dope fiends in the PI, it's good enough for me to shoot meth heads in Waianae.

CAMike

None
Contributor
I'll be That Guy: I hate 9mm.

.357 Mag is one of my favorite cartridges, but too heavy (read: painful) for a snubbie, so no good for CCW. A round designed to crack engine blocks doesn't sound like what I'd want in a bedside gun, either.

.357 Sig is a round I wanted to love, but it's (and this is my subjective, unscientific opinion) too "snappy" to shoot accurately, comfortably.

.40 S&W or .45 ACP all day, every day. If it was good enough for McArthur to shoot dope fiends in the PI, it's good enough for me to shoot meth heads in Waianae.

9mm used to have inconsistent expansion and penetration performance prior to 2000. The type of projectile one uses changed that. Federal HST, Gold Dots , Federal Bonded and Ranger T's ( a few others as well) have consistent expansion and penetration numbers when run through the FBI Ammo Test Protocols. So 9mm ammo can be a great self defense caliber IF one uses the correct ammunition. Although I have been carrying HST in 40 and 45 lately, I do not feel I'm compromising anything when carrying my PM9 with HST's (P9HST3).

http://www.btfh.net/shoot/bullet-test-2.html

http://le.atk.com/general/federalproducts/pistol/tacticalhst.aspx

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
The url below continues to be a fantastic source for more info that you probably ever need to know about self-defense pistol, rifle and shotgun ammo. Lots of detail if you care to read it but they also make it easy just to choose one of several rounds if you want to cut to the chase.

Just click on the caliber and or scroll down for details etc.

It's updated now and then as well.

here