• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Carrier time/TDY question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

java

What, depending on what platform you fly, does the typical assingment look like. I'm interested in info such as how many days away from home/base you'd be at a time/how often, how often marines are on carrier duty, etc, etc. I'm just trying to get an idea of what to expect in the long-shot-case I might get to fly for the marines. Thanks.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
For assault support, i.e. CH-46E and CH-53E you can plan on something approximating the following:

6 months of Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) workups, where you're gone on various exercises, on and off the ship for maybe 1-2 weeks per month average. That's heavily stacked toward the end of the 6 months.

That period is followed by a (approximately) 6 month deployment aboard a LHD or LHA amphibious ship. Come home, and you have about 17 months before starting that cycle again.

In the meantime, you'll probably do 2 Combined Arms Exercises (CAX), which are about 3 wks ea. Then there are 1 or 2 other random deployments you'll end up doing. That is, unless some contingency comes up and they need you on a ship again on a moment's notice.

Phrogs phorever

Status
Not open for further replies.