• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Carrier life for AMDO (off hours)

Status
Not open for further replies.

twoshots02

AMDO - 13 Nov OCS
I was wondering if anyone knew what carrier life was like in your off time? Are things like personal laptops ok? I know gameboys are good to bring. What other sources of stress relief do we have shipboard?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Personal laptops are OK as long as you don't bring them into workspaces (i.e. Ready Room), keep it in your stateroom and you're good to go. Each stateroom has a TV, so bringing a PS2/Xbox is a good idea, DVDs for when AFN craps out, and books come in handy as well. Also, it never hurts to bring some cards and poker chips.

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
Damn! Life sounds pretty good on a carrier. My shipboard experience was onboard a sub and it had 1 t.v. and NO storage to bring extra goodies. We all brought laptops since we only dove at night and had nothing to do all day but bug the crew. No one seemed to care that we had them and it was the only way we could watch movies unless you crammed into the 30 seat galley with 75 other guys at movie call. I am gonna feel spoiled on a carrier.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Also, keep in mind that this is the airwing life. When the ship is scrambling to do GQ, we're sitting around in our staterooms *****ing that the movie channels say "Carl Vinson Rocks" alternating with "General Quarters" Another fun thing to do is to have "Roll 'ems" or showing a movie in the RR on a no fly day or when flight ops secures.

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
That was the same for us. Since we weren't ships crew (I was at an SDV Team) we got to sit in our racks during field day, GQ, and ALL the drills those guys are constantly running. One Senior Chief got really pissed one time that we were watching DVDs on our laptops in t-shirts and shorts(our uniform of the day) while all the bubble heads were running around playing fireman in full gear, OBAs and all. LOL. He was pissed, but our OIC told to stick it, we didn't sign up for shoe work. Rude as hell but damn was it funny. In front of all of us too. Right as the Senior was reaching his peak of ripping into us, LT hit him with that statement. He shut right up. It later became a semi big deal but nothing ever came of it.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Punks' War

Read the book "Punks' War" by Ward Carrol...probably the most true depiction of squadron and boat life you can imagine. This is an easy read. The author is a former F-14 RIO.

r/
Goz
aka Simon

Schnugg

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Actually it's written mono-syllabically with the pilots in mind...big words...large letters...you get the picture....

Cheers,
Goz
The VF Community...Eating our Young for Lunch

Schnugg

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What does that mean?

I guess I'm too old for this "hip hop" lingo does the snap refer to the two "gentlmen" (and I use that tern loosely) shown below....and why?

r/
G-Diddy :D

aka Sir Raps a Lot

Attachments

• Two_snaps_up.jpg
    Two_snaps_up.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 87
Status
Not open for further replies.