• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Carrier Leadership

Regarding carrier COs, if their background is either aviator or NFOs, how do they qualify for carrier CO if they do not have shipdriver training (I am making an assumption here). If selected for CO or XO, do they receive some sort of ship driving training at that point? Or, do SWOs actually drive the carrier while the aviator/NFO CO/XO have overall command of the carrier? Thanks

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
It's a post O5 (squadron) command track for selected aircrew. As far as I know, the track involves nuke school, a dedicated carrier XO tour, dedicated deep draft (non-CVN) CO tour, and finally a CVN CO tour. It's a LONG commitment, and yes, they do learn how to drive ships along the way. There's probably a career track description somewhere, my Google-fu just isn't equal to the task today.

jmcquate

Contributor
They do what's know as a "Deep Draft Tour" prior to becoming a CV CO. It's a tour commanding a large naval support vessel.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's a post O5 (squadron) command track for selected aircrew. As far as I know, the track involves nuke school, a dedicated carrier XO tour, dedicated deep draft (non-CVN) CO tour, and finally a CVN CO tour. It's a LONG commitment, and yes, they do learn how to drive ships along the way.

I think it is roughly 7 years from selection to finishing their CO tour.

Pags

N/A
pilot
...LSDs are naval support vessels?
Nitpick: I think most deep draft command tours are accomplished on LPDs vice LSDs. All the LSDs in the basin at Sasebo were all shoe crews. The LPD always had an aviator as CO.

Also, for whatever reason, aviators who are the CO of an LHA/D do not get the benefit of a deep draft tour. If things work as designed some of that potential risk is mitigated by having the other guy in the front office be a shoe. But when USS LAST SHIP's SWO CO was fired and the ship had to go to sea for a typhoon a week later the CO/XO were both 1310s.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Priorities get the resources. Everything else makes do.
Maybe. Or maybe the Aviator/SWO front office with a big supporting cast of SWOs is seen as enough risk mitigation. Or maybe it's because one vessel is owned by CNAF and the other CNSF and thus subject to two completely different sets of reality/assumptions/etc.* Either way, I doubt you'd ever find the original rationale written down somewhere and it's a fool who looks for logic in USN practices.

*also compare and contrast CNAF and CNSF flight deck re-surfacing practices.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
When it takes 12 guys to repeat commands just to make basic rudder and engine speed changes, you can bet a SWO is somewhere in that chain.

jmcquate

Contributor
Funny how the "Gator Navy" get's everyone's panties in a bunch. My how Marines confound you all.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
When it takes 12 guys to repeat commands just to make basic rudder and engine speed changes, you can bet a SWO is somewhere in that chain.
hqdefault.jpg

exNavyOffRec

True, I was on the bridge of the Lincoln during Sea and Anchor detail when the OOD (a SWO) who just relieved said something like "Lee helmsman make turns for 15 knots" the kids face was blank as he was confused, I quietly said to him that was 75 RPM and he adjusted the POT and EOT, and about the same time some other officer said something to the OOD and all his orders after that were in the correct manner.