• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Carey Lohrenz - Span of Control

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
This month's Forbes had an insert with Carey Lohrenz on the cover.

Lohrenz's social media and web site have her listed as the first female F-14 pilot. I thought that honor went to LT Hultgreen?

robav8r

None
Contributor
This month's Forbes had an insert with Carey Lohrenz on the cover.

Lohrenz's social media and web site have her listed as the first female F-14 pilot. I thought that honor went to LT Hultgreen?

View attachment 33071

View attachment 33072
After clicking on the link, it says this: "As one of the first female F-14 Tomcat fighter pilots in the US Navy, Carey D. Lohrenz knows well that inconsistent execution in fast-moving, dynamic environments can generate catastrophic results."

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
That's why I am confused. The Forbes and Wikipedia pages for her have that same language ("as one of the first") but her personal web page and social media stuff does not.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Interesting that she was grounded for 2 years, then flew C-12s for the last 3 years of her 8 years of service. I'm sure she doesn't brag about flying the Huron.
That's why I am confused. The Forbes and Wikipedia pages for her have that same language ("as one of the first") but her personal web page and social media stuff does not.
Looks like she's $elling herself as the "First Female F-14 pilot."

While she resigned her commission in 1999, I am seeing several references to her as Lt US Navy (Ret)...which is also wrong.

Last edited:

Pags

N/A
pilot
Wiki also says Kara Hultgren was "one of the first females selected for F-14s" and the first "combat qualified" female F-14 pilot. So there's some room for debate. You'd probably have to go look at the FRS flight sked to settle the debate but to what end?

jmcquate

Contributor
Had this explained to me a a Air & Space docent a few weeks ago. She was the first female to fly the Tomcat, and Revlon was the first fleet pilot.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wiki also says Kara Hultgren was "one of the first females selected for F-14s" and the first "combat qualified" female F-14 pilot. So there's some room for debate. You'd probably have to go look at the FRS flight sked to settle the debate but to what end?
Whatever "combat qualified" means, an FRS student doing initial CQ probably ain't it. At any rate, Lohrenz isn't the first person to exaggerate their resume in pursuit of bullshit E.d R.ush-style motivational speaker or leadership consultant money-making schemes.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Whatever "combat qualified" means, an FRS student doing initial CQ probably ain't it. At any rate, Lohrenz isn't the first person to exaggerate their resume in pursuit of bullshit E.d R.ush-style motivational speaker or leadership consultant money-making schemes.
Yeah, I wondered what the hell "combat qualified" meant but I just figured I'd stick with a direct quote.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Marketing. It means marketing. 99.9% of her prospective customers won't know the difference.
I got the "combat qualified" quote from the Wikipedia page on Kara Hultgreen. It looks like wiki got it from a NY Times source. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess it had to with the fact that she was the first woman to make it to a fleet squadron.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I got the "combat qualified" quote from the Wikipedia page on Kara Hultgreen. It looks like wiki got it from a NY Times source. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess it had to with the fact that she was the first woman to make it to a fleet squadron.

That was my guess too. Then I remembered it's about the F-14, and I realized I don't care. :D

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, I wondered what the hell "combat qualified" meant but I just figured I'd stick with a direct quote.
I only got as far as “combat certified,” I was hungover and skipped the final exam for full qualification.