• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Captain Selection Board Results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samtucker79

Quick Question for everyone....

Just been selected for augmentation (to be done away with this after this year) and Capt (no felonies in my first few years of service.) Wondering if anyone has the inside scoop on approx. how long it is taking to pin on after selection. The stop loss/hold from the beginning of the Iraq ordeal has made the last few years a waiting game for upcoming USMC O-3s.

On a side note...the guys from my class who went Navy see Lt (O-3) four years to the day. And my brother in the Army will see Capt (O-3) 3 years to the day.

Thanks for the insight.

Rg9

pilot
I know on the Navy side, everyone being commissioned now is USN (vs. USNR). As I understand it, they'll be switching everyone over to USN automatically in the next few years. Sorry, I don't know if the MC is doing the same thing, but if they are, you shouldn't need to worry about augmentation, since it will be pretty much automatic.

Samtucker79

JMW,
Here is the plan.

Those officers will be the last to be screened under the competitive augmentation system. Starting May 1, all other officers will begin receiving regular — not Reserve — appointments as part of a new law.

But active-duty officers must still compete to gain permanent career status, allowing the Corps to keep the best officers and weed out others.

Instead of competing for augmentation, officers will compete for career designation. Through career designation, they will still compete to stay in the Corps as regular officers.

Just like in competitive augmentation, officers will be screened by a board — called the “career designation board” — in their fourth of fifth year of commissioned service, or around the time of promotion to captain. Now, instead of being “augmented,” they will be “career designated” either in their primary military occupational specialty or in a different MOS that needs to be filled.

If they’re not designated, they’ll have to leave active-duty service at the end of their obligation, Butler said. The first career designation board will be held in January.

The new board process mirrors what has been in place and represents a change in name only, said Lt. Col. Michael L. Kuhn, the section head for officer plans with Manpower and Reserve Affairs.

Hope this Helps.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
I was looking at the next selections the other night. It appears they are still promoting from the selections made April/May last year (approx. 80 or so at a time) and are around numbers 600 or so now. If that's the case, they won't be finished with that group for another 5 months, then they'll start promoting out of this years group. I must be NASTY because I'm near the bottom of this list so I'm anticipating promotion around mid summer next year (that'll put me at about the 5 year mark).

I'm hoping I've got the process all wrong, but this is how it appears to work.

KBayDog

jboomer said:
I must be NASTY because I'm near the bottom of this list so I'm anticipating promotion around mid summer next year (that'll put me at about the 5 year mark).

"Nastiness" and "AirWarrior" go hand-in-hand. I have a feeling they'll wait until my 5-year mark to promote me to 1st Looey. Congrats on your selection, anyway.

I haven't seen or heard anything about the end of "reserve" status/end of augmentation for Marines - is it published anywhere? If it is true, I don't feel so bad about just missing the TBS meritorious augmentation cutoff...

Funny how I know more about Navy admin that Marine admin all of a sudden. I remember a bunch of squids at API whining because they'd have to spend $2 to get new nametags that don't say "USNR." Waaah.

And does this mean an end to NROTC as we know it? Will it become "NOTC?"

KBayDog

Samtucker79 said:
Now, instead of being “augmented,” they will be “career designated” either in their primary military occupational specialty or in a different MOS that needs to be filled.

Adj up!

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
jmwSemperFi said:
Thanks everyone, that helped alot...that and we just got the brief on it today so things are a lot more clear now.

Well? Are we right or wrong...share the gouge!

Status
Not open for further replies.