• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Capt. Dale "Snort" Snodgrass Tomcat Model Madness...."The Shot"

Citation3

This model is for all you Tomcat and Captain Dale "Snort" Snodgrass fans....

This is my most recent build and an ambitious attempt at recreating one on the most iconic Tomcat moments in history. The model replicates what is affectionately know as "The Shot"

I'm sure many Naval aviators are familiar with this image. For those who may not be familiar with it, this short blurb from John Sponauer's interview with Captain Snodgrass sums it up nicely.

"...it was my opening pass to a Tomcat tactical demonstration at sea. I started from the starboard rear quarter of the ship, at or slightly below flight deck level. Airspeed was at about 250 knots with the wings swept forward. I selected afterburner at about 1/2 mile behind and the aircraft accelerated to about 325-330 knots. As I approached the ship, I rolled into an 85 degree angle of bank and did a 2-3 g turn, finishing about 10- 20 degrees off of the ship's axis. It was a very dramatic and, in my opinion, a very cool way to start a carrier demo. The photo was taken by an Aviation Boson's Mate who worked the flight deck on the USS America. Just as an aside...the individual with his arms behind his back is Admiral Jay Johnson, the immediate past Chief of Naval Operations for the Navy."

"The Shot"

snort-2.jpg

From the VF-33 command history (Courtesy of David Brown)

"July 23, 1988-

Dependents Day Cruise Aboard CV-66. Cdr Snodgrass and Lt Lackey perform F-14 Demo in aircraft 210."

This model was built from the Hasegawa 1/48 kit. The VF-33 Starfighter decals were custom printed by another exceptional modeler for my use and I'm deeply appreciative for his time and effort. Extensive scratchbuilding was done around the wing gasket seal area. Many of the vents were cut open and interior details were added. The rails for both the AIM-7 and Phoenix missles were scratch built as well. While I tried to gather as much information as I could regarding the exact aircraft flown, information was limited and hard to come by. Through a few sources I was able to replicate the set up and aircraft flown that day fairly accurately, I think. If not, we can just refer to this build as "Inspired by events of that day."

If anyone here happens to know or have contact with Captain Snodgrass please feel free to pass this onto him. I would love to hear any feedback or opinions he may have.

DSC_1713.jpg

DSC_1728.jpg

DSC_1723.jpg

DSC_1737.jpg

DSC_1717.jpg

DSC_1716.jpg

DSC_1721.jpg

DSC_1731.jpg

DSC_1720.jpg

DSC_1726-1.jpg

DSC_1741-1.jpg

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Citation3; said:
If anyone here happens to know or have contact with Captain Snodgrass please feel free to pass this onto him. I would love to hear any feedback or opinions he may have.

How about presentation during Oceana airshow in Sept? I can arrange that and get to him right away. We go way back.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
So, are you gonna do the one with the Tomcat throwing up the rooster tail wakes next? ;)

F-14_Tomcat.jpg

Citation3

Thanks...

Thanks for all the kind words regarding my build and allowing me to post my work on your forum.

Here is a photo of the model from a similar angle to the original picture. Also, a few more taken off the base.

DSC_1746.jpg

DSC_1747.jpg

DSC_1753.jpg

DSC_1749-1.jpg

Floppy_D

I am the hunted
Your work/photography is amazing. I've built tons of models, but I have never had the skill to push the bar as far as you have. Keep it up; you're a hell of a contributor, and I love seeing your posts.

Alldaron

Hello Citation3,

Not sure if my email arrived last night, but wanted to mention I work with Dale on our collaboration project www.SwissPL.com/snort
I asked him if he had known about the model you made and it seems word never got to him.
If you'd like I can pass along a message and perhaps we can arrange a presentation and photo.
Have a great weekend, looking forward to speaking with you.

Alldaron