• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN Cannabidiol (CBD) and the Navy

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Seen on Linkedin today:

The Navy is cracking down on CBD, extending the CBD ban to lotions and ointments, while America is moving the other direction on CBD, with mainstream brands like Martha Stewart popularizing it for "female consumers in the 46-55 age range" and other demographics.

Ref:

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Seen on Linkedin today:

The Navy is cracking down on CBD, extending the CBD ban to lotions and ointments, while America is moving the other direction on CBD, with mainstream brands like Martha Stewart popularizing it for "female consumers in the 46-55 age range" and other demographics.

View attachment 27339

Ref:

Nothing new, it's always been banned in all branches.

Would you say you agree or disagree with the policy?

OscarMyers

None
It's all a ploy for big urine to protect their testing infrastructure investment! But it would seem its pretty standard Navy being slow to react to changes. This article hits on possible label inaccuracies causing sailors to still pop for THC on Navy drug tests.

The real irony is how many unregulated supplements are consumed by sailors and the Navy doesn't bat an eye in the name of "health and safety". Someday the Navy is going to have to deal with legalization and the answer can't be a blanket prohibition. Doubt I'll see that day during my time in uniform.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Someday the Navy is going to have to deal with legalization and the answer can't be a blanket prohibition.
Why can’t it be blanket prohibition? Even if cannabis in all forms become legal in all state and federal jurisdictions doesn’t necessarily compel DoD to allow it as a matter of policy.

OscarMyers

None
Why can’t it be blanket prohibition? Even if cannabis in all forms become legal in all state and federal jurisdictions doesn’t necessarily compel DoD to allow it as a matter of policy.

I think it will eventually be so normalized that the pressure will come from the legislative bodies, once it is comprised of a generation that grew up when it was legal. I would even argue that some day prohibition will effect recruiting. If alcohol was explicitly prohibited in the services, I think Joe off the street would think twice about signing up. Again, we are a long way from that world but are definitely moving in that direction.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think it will eventually be so normalized that the pressure will come from the legislative bodies, once it is comprised of a generation that grew up when it was legal. I would even argue that some day prohibition will effect recruiting. If alcohol was explicitly prohibited in the services, I think Joe off the street would think twice about signing up. Again, we are a long way from that world but are definitely moving in that direction.
I think that outcome is possible, though unlikely. There will be other professions that are likely to continue the prohibition, like airline pilots, school bus drivers, train engineers and countless others where people’s safety hangs in the balance. The military will not be unique in that sense.

exNavyOffRec

Do you really think those that are growing and selling MJ want it legal through the federal gov't? they don't, while publicly they say it should be legal everywhere privately they do not since if it becomes legal on a federal level that will be a whole level of regulation like alcohol, as it is now they just have to state THC level, if the feds become involved there will be limits on THC levels, I have a now former coworker who with their spouse own a large pot farm who gave me that answer when I asked what their thoughts were.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Do you really think those that are growing and selling MJ want it legal through the federal gov't? they don't, while publicly they say it should be legal everywhere privately they do not since if it becomes legal on a federal level that will be a whole level of regulation like alcohol, as it is now they just have to state THC level, if the feds become involved there will be limits on THC levels, I have a now former coworker who with their spouse own a large pot farm who gave me that answer when I asked what their thoughts were.
There was a good 60 Minutes segment on that. They interviewed a CA grower who basically makes no money due to all the regulatory compliance he has to do. The Sierra Nevada is full of "off the grid" growers, and there's no appetite for state or federal enforcement.

OscarMyers

None

Pot is already regulated by the federal government, it's a schedule one drug. It's just one of those pesky laws that they cant change yet also wont enforce. The "cole" memo just gave the states a list of rules so they will less likely be targeted. I have no doubt your former coworker enjoys operating between lack of federal oversight and the state level regulation, but it will be federally legalized some day. That being said, I'm sure Standard Oil missed the good ole days too.

I'm actually not really sure what you're arguing. I agree no one wants government regulation, but its going to happen and its going to open new markets and allow federal bank protections for the industry.

CAMike

None
Contributor
The State of CA ruined the legal cannabis market from the onset and I imagine the Feds will produce an equally complex system. My small "legal" farm and many larger farms still don't generate their primary income from the legal market. The NAVY will always have more stringent limitations and or prohibitions as compared to how the Feds treat civilian jobs and rightfully so.

Wait until you retire from work and determine if it's a hobby that you might enjoy. For me it's therapeutic. Twice daily inspections of every plant, daily adjusting the trim of humidity/temp settings in grow room and very detailed documentation everyday without fail during the Flowering phase. Daily logging of Feed PPM's and pH of growing medium etc.. Some of the varietals today are pretty strong. I highly recommend and Qualified and Sober On-Wing for your Fams.

exNavyOffRec

Pot is already regulated by the federal government, it's a schedule one drug. It's just one of those pesky laws that they cant change yet also wont enforce. The "cole" memo just gave the states a list of rules so they will less likely be targeted. I have no doubt your former coworker enjoys operating between lack of federal oversight and the state level regulation, but it will be federally legalized some day. That being said, I'm sure Standard Oil missed the good ole days too.

I'm actually not really sure what you're arguing. I agree no one wants government regulation, but its going to happen and its going to open new markets and allow federal bank protections for the industry.
not an argument more of info from someone I know in the industry who feels regulation will result in regulated THC levels and those levels will probably not be what growers want or are doing now.

An interesting note is that even though they have a large grow operation they themselves have stopped using having seen the affects on themselves and a few family members, from a mutual friend they said they will continue to operate because money is money lol

exNavyOffRec

There was a good 60 Minutes segment on that. They interviewed a CA grower who basically makes no money due to all the regulatory compliance he has to do. The Sierra Nevada is full of "off the grid" growers, and there's no appetite for state or federal enforcement.
I think I saw that segment or another news article that said the same thing. There have been a few others I know of from other acquaintances who have shut down operations due to money issues.