• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Can you have a side business?

Dwhite1017

Hey all,

I’m currently in the CEC Collegiate Program. My degree will be in architecture and I’d like to make some extra income on the side consulting or designing small projects. I understand I’ll be very busy as an Officer but it’d be nice to make a little extra money on the side.

Are there any restrictions or extra paperwork that I’ll need to file? Obviously I know I can’t let my navy job be effected or work on any projects using military resources, etc. Just curious about military protocol regarding this.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Hey all,

I’m currently in the CEC Collegiate Program. My degree will be in architecture and I’d like to make some extra income on the side consulting or designing small projects. I understand I’ll be very busy as an Officer but it’d be nice to make a little extra money on the side.

Are there any restrictions or extra paperwork that I’ll need to file? Obviously I know I can’t let my navy job be effected or work on any projects using military resources, etc. Just curious about military protocol regarding this.
You are being extremely naïve if you think you're going to have time to both when first commissioned. You need to concentrate on learning how to be a good officer and doing the job the Navy gives you.

Renegade One

None
AMWAY. That's the ticket.

Seriously, as long as you stay in your self-defined swim lane of "I know I can’t let my [N]avy job be [a]ffected or work on any projects using military resources, etc.", I think you'll be fine. Just not sure how much time you'll really have to do this...but maybe. Call it a "hobby with benefits" and I doubt the Navy will care. Much like the AMWAY-peddling squadron-mates I had...

Dwhite1017

You are being extremely naïve if you think you're going to have time to both when first commissioned. You need to concentrate on learning how to be a good officer and doing the job the Navy gives you.
I don’t think I’m being naive at all. I’m not expecting for this to be a major source of income at all. Just thinking that maybe I can do a few simple projects a year (garage conversions, small backyard projects, etc.) if I have some free time.

Dwhite1017

Seriously, as long as you stay in your self-defined swim lane of "I know I can’t let my [N]avy job be [a]ffected or work on any projects using military resources, etc.", I think you'll be fine. Just not sure how much time you'll really have to do this...but maybe. Call it a "hobby with benefits" and I doubt the Navy will care. Much like the AMWAY-peddling squadron-mates I had...
“Hobby with benefits” is a great way to put it. I do enjoy designing and drawing things and would just like to some of that and possibly make some money when I can.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
It's 100% allowed. Technically you need a "moonlighting" chit. I did some tutoring for college students in Maryland (not USNA students) in higher level courses from the major I had just graduated from prior to reporting to flight school.

After flight school started, it was game on and having a side hustle was pretty much out of the question, though I've been known to design a patch here or there. (Although I've almost always sold them at cost...)

Treetop Flyer

pilot

One word: Plastics