• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Can you apply for Air Force and Navy OCS at the same time?

exNavyOffRec

Hey, guys. I know this is an old thread, but would really benefit on some knowledge of this subject. Would love to be able to apply for both branches, but I have no idea how to make that happen. Would love to go to MEPS soon and see if I even qualify for the military soon, but I want to make sure I give myself the best chance of becoming an officer (NFO, CSO sound cool to me right now).

I mentioned to my Navy recruiter I was still highly considering EOD and he seemed kinda upset that I didn't have my mind made up. Really trying to do my due diligence and research, but I don't want to piss any recruiters off and screw myself of any chance before I even get in.

Some will be pissy about it others won't, I never was because I knew I could offer them more.

unless they have changed it recently EOD is only open to prior service in EOD but I thought RUFIO posted not too long ago it is still prior EOD only.

your scores are OK so apply NFO and see what happens.

on the officer side no one cares about ASVAB score, it is as important as saying when you were 5 you won 1st place in a coloring contest.

Cody Stansell

Ok. Thanks for the fast responses, Griz and NavyOffRec.

Let me preface this by saying when I started the process, I had no idea the OCS/OTS packet process was a long process, I didn't think I wanted to wait it out as I'm pretty tired of being in my hometown plus job prospects aren't great. In the past month, however, things have changed a bit and I think I've found a few potential job prospects that could hold me over.

EOD-wise. I think you are trying to say that the Navy requires prior service for EOD officers. Yes, for Navy officers, maybe Army and AF force too. I was talking enlisted side (AF and Army).

I know that I don't have the mental fortitude to go through the Navy EOD pipeline (as in I don't want go through the rigors of dive school with the PJs, those are some bad mofos and I know I don't have the motivation to learn how to hold my breath that long, attrition rate is really high, etc.), but I am still considering the Army and Airforce.

I've talked to each branch, but I've been pretty open about it with the recruiters that I've talked with. Maybe that's where I've gone wrong, but at the same time I think the recruiting system is flawed. I feel like as Americans we should be working as a team and helping recruits find what's best for them, not competing branch vs. branch. I digress though.

My issue I'm having is I don't know how to navigate talking to the recruiters. I called the Navy Officer recruiter to update him on where I was at and to ask some follow up questions, but also told him I was researching other positions, namely EOD enlisted, but since then I have a few job opportunities that would allow me to wait out the officer process.

Before that, I had reached out to an Airforce Officer Recruiter and at the time I wasn't sure how long I wanted to wait and said I was looking into officer positions and EOD. I told him travel was a big motivator for me too and he said, "based on what I said I should look at the enlisted positions." But again since then I've learned a bit more and I believe I found a way to sustain myself to wait out the process. I believe I want to try for an officer job and if I get in, great, if not then at least I tried and I'll go enlisted and hope to get in a few years down the road. I've tried to get in touch with the AF Officer recruiter a few times afterward to no avail. The AF recruiters seem pretty hard to get a hold of in general.

At this point should I just go to Navy MEPS and try for NFO or maybe Supply Corps like you said, not mention the AF at all and then go to the AF as well, go through their OTS packet process, but not mention the navy? Is MEPSbranch neutral? i.e. Am I able to just fill out a packet for both Navy and AF, but then when I go to MEPS apply for both branches' officer positions?

As I mentioned in a previous post, it seems to me like if you go through the process with one branch you are blocked from another?

But maybe that's more of the ASVAB side, I took it with the national guard, aced it, but then when the Army tried to pull it up they told me they would have to fill out a request to see it and it would take a few days.

Again I just don't really understand the process from a recruiter's perspective and want to make sure I'm not hurting my chances.

I would be reaching out to my Navy officer recruiter more, but our last conversation seemed unpleasant (he acted like I better have my mind made up when I talk to him and he seemed uninterested in answering any of my questions), maybe I'm paranoid, but I just want to make sure I say and do the right things to give myself the best chance.

Sorry if that was long winded and I really appreciate your help and time

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

Ok. Thanks for the fast responses, Griz and NavyOffRec.

Let me preface this by saying when I started the process, I had no idea the OCS/OTS packet process was a long process, I didn't think I wanted to wait it out as I'm pretty tired of being in my hometown plus job prospects aren't great. In the past month, however, things have changed a bit and I think I've found a few potential job prospects that could hold me over.

EOD-wise. I think you are trying to say that the Navy requires prior service for EOD officers. Yes, for Navy officers, maybe Army and AF force too. I was talking enlisted side (AF and Army).

I know that I don't have the mental fortitude to go through the Navy EOD pipeline (as in I don't want go through the rigors of dive school with the PJs, those are some bad mofos and I know I don't have the motivation to learn how to hold my breath that long, attrition rate is really high, etc.), but I am still considering the Army and Airforce.

I've talked to each branch, but I've been pretty open about it with the recruiters that I've talked with. Maybe that's where I've gone wrong, but at the same time I think the recruiting system is flawed. I feel like as Americans we should be working as a team and helping recruits find what's best for them, not competing branch vs. branch. I digress though.

My issue I'm having is I don't know how to navigate talking to the recruiters. I called the Navy Officer recruiter to update him on where I was at and to ask some follow up questions, but also told him I was researching other positions, namely EOD enlisted, but since then I have a few job opportunities that would allow me to wait out the officer process.

Before that, I had reached out to an Airforce Officer Recruiter and at the time I wasn't sure how long I wanted to wait and said I was looking into officer positions and EOD. I told him travel was a big motivator for me too and he said, "based on what I said I should look at the enlisted positions." But again since then I've learned a bit more and I believe I found a way to sustain myself to wait out the process. I believe I want to try for an officer job and if I get in, great, if not then at least I tried and I'll go enlisted and hope to get in a few years down the road. I've tried to get in touch with the AF Officer recruiter a few times afterward to no avail. The AF recruiters seem pretty hard to get a hold of in general.

At this point should I just go to Navy MEPS and try for NFO or maybe Supply Corps like you said, not mention the AF at all and then go to the AF as well, go through their OTS packet process, but not mention the navy? Is MEPSbranch neutral? i.e. Am I able to just fill out a packet for both Navy and AF, but then when I go to MEPS apply for both branches' officer positions?

As I mentioned in a previous post, it seems to me like if you go through the process with one branch you are blocked from another?

But maybe that's more of the ASVAB side, I took it with the national guard, aced it, but then when the Army tried to pull it up they told me they would have to fill out a request to see it and it would take a few days.

Again I just don't really understand the process from a recruiter's perspective and want to make sure I'm not hurting my chances.

I would be reaching out to my Navy officer recruiter more, but our last conversation seemed unpleasant (he acted like I better have my mind made up when I talk to him and he seemed uninterested in answering any of my questions), maybe I'm paranoid, but I just want to make sure I say and do the right things to give myself the best chance.

Sorry if that was long winded and I really appreciate your help and time
I would guess that the OR was like he was to you is because it sounds like you don't know what you want to do, if you want to fly tell the OR that, go to MEPS and submit an application for NFO

Cody Stansell

Ok, I'll try to nail down what I want, but what I was trying to ask in a long winded way was, Can I apply for Navy and AF OCS at the same time, in 2016?

The thread was started in 2013. So if I go through the process with the navy am I blocked from applying for OTS with the AF?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Ok, I'll try to nail down what I want, but what I was trying to ask in a long winded way was, Can I apply for Navy and AF OCS at the same time, in 2016?

The thread was started in 2013. So if I go through the process with the navy am I blocked from applying for OTS with the AF?

BLUF, yes, you can apply for any or all of these programs at the same time. Each service MAY have different testing criteria so make sure you have time to take the necessary exams. A single visit to MEPS should do for each program. NavyOffRec, however, has it right...you have to decide what you want to do and drive toward that goal. Want to be an NFO, then jump in - both feet at once. Want to do some NFO-like blue suit job...apply. Overall, you have to set the goal so the recruiters can set you toward it.

So, to recap, YES, you can apply for all the services OCS programs at once.

Cody Stansell

BLUF, yes, you can apply for any or all of these programs at the same time. Each service MAY have different testing criteria so make sure you have time to take the necessary exams. A single visit to MEPS should do for each program. NavyOffRec, however, has it right...you have to decide what you want to do and drive toward that goal. Want to be an NFO, then jump in - both feet at once. Want to do some NFO-like blue suit job...apply. Overall, you have to set the goal so the recruiters can set you toward it.

So, to recap, YES, you can apply for all the services OCS programs at once.

Perfect that's what I needed to know. Thanks again for your help, man!

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I am slightly leaning towards becoming an Air Force officer if chosen, but would also love to be a Navy officer so I want to apply for both. My Navy recruiter told me I can apply for both so I have both packets almost ready except for physical testing. Now my Air force recruiter is saying you can only apply for one at a time. The Navy board selection is first, but I don't want to be stuck with the Navy without trying for the Air Force. (No offense at all to any Navy Officers! I would love to be in your shoes, but i'm just thinking I would rather be on base then at sea if I had a choice.)

You can. Anyone who tells you that you can't is saying that to you because they want you for their belt notch.

Apply for all you're interested in, and you don't need to ask any of their permission to apply to others... Nor should you have to tell them.

TC2014

I have a similar question. Will OR recruiters from diff branches know that in applying to others when they schedule me for a medical? Here's some background - was applying to navy OCS for aviation. Had eye surgery and literally a combination of surgery paperwork and my recruiters carelessness we've been trying to get me my medical for about 7 months! I'm approaching the age deadline and have to have this application in for the next boards. I began looking into the army as well and the recruiter got me tested sent in all my paperwork and attained an extension for this next boards (in two weeks let alone). He's confident everything will be in in time for this boards ( placed in the top 2% testing as well). The issue is the navy is also starting to show renewed interest. The navy OR just emailed me saying they're hurting for pilots. I don't want to mention to either branch that I'm exploring other options, but the medical is done at the same location by me for both. Will I show up in the system for both somehow when they go to schedule me? Anyone know?

exNavyOffRec

I have a similar question. Will OR recruiters from diff branches know that in applying to others when they schedule me for a medical? Here's some background - was applying to navy OCS for aviation. Had eye surgery and literally a combination of surgery paperwork and my recruiters carelessness we've been trying to get me my medical for about 7 months! I'm approaching the age deadline and have to have this application in for the next boards. I began looking into the army as well and the recruiter got me tested sent in all my paperwork and attained an extension for this next boards (in two weeks let alone). He's confident everything will be in in time for this boards ( placed in the top 2% testing as well). The issue is the navy is also starting to show renewed interest. The navy OR just emailed me saying they're hurting for pilots. I don't want to mention to either branch that I'm exploring other options, but the medical is done at the same location by me for both. Will I show up in the system for both somehow when they go to schedule me? Anyone know?

If one service has completed everything with MEPS and pulled all the info they need then they should never know, however if you are still in the process then yes, but if MEPS has completed their physical then the USN recruiter will just need to have you fill out the 680 form if I remember right then he will get a copy of the physical and send it to N3M.

It wouldn't matter if you did medical in CA then went to TX they would still know.

I am sure what he means is his NRD is hurting for applications to submit, since the number of SNA's needed stay pretty constant.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
If one service has completed everything with MEPS and pulled all the info they need then they should never know, however if you are still in the process then yes, but if MEPS has completed their physical then the USN recruiter will just need to have you fill out the 680 form if I remember right then he will get a copy of the physical and send it to N3M.

It wouldn't matter if you did medical in CA then went to TX they would still know.

I am sure what he means is his NRD is hurting for applications to submit, since the number of SNA's needed stay pretty constant.

Pilot goal went up last FY and its even higher this year. Average NRD goal ranges from 18-30 depending on the NRD size.

exNavyOffRec

Pilot goal went up last FY and its even higher this year. Average NRD goal ranges from 18-30 depending on the NRD size.

That seems similar to what it was back around 2009 but OCS is there to make up for shortfalls and take it in the shorts when ROTC and USNA is doing well :D

TC2014

Hmmmm so if I'm understanding part of what youre saying correctly then Medicals are universal? Meaning if I do a medical via the army recruiter would I not need to do one for the navy? They can just pull the files?

exNavyOffRec

Hmmmm so if I'm understanding part of what youre saying correctly then Medicals are universal? Meaning if I do a medical via the army recruiter would I not need to do one for the navy? They can just pull the files?

In general yes, however as an example the USMC sends people to Pensacola for a NAMI physical.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
The Air Force doesn't have EOD officers. In the USAF, EOD falls under Civil Engineering (which is akin to the Navy's CEC). USAF CE officers aren't expected to get super involved in EOD. EOD SNCOs really run the show. Same with firefighting, which falls under CE Squadrons but is run day to day by the fire chiefs (literally CMSgt E-9s). EOD and Fire fall under CE bc it's mostly about safety & operability of the flight line.