• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Can I get a food allergy waiver?

mjoseph8

I have a case of esophogitis where I am allergic to dairy. My doctor says if I cut it out for a while. I may be able have it again. Do you think I might still be able to get into the Naval Academy?

Thanks

-Matt-

pat

I have a case of esophogitis where I am allergic to dairy. My doctor says if I cut it out I may be able have it again do you think I might still be able to get into the Naval Academy?

Thanks

-Matt-

If you cut your esophagus out?

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Easy one for you... Stop drinking milk, apply to the Naval Academy. You may get in, you may not. Only one way to find out: Apply... and learn English. I hear you actually need to be able to write in English to get into USNA... but thats just a rumor.

RAS

retired but still flying
None
As to the question of getting a waiver -- waivers are supposed to be an exception rather than a rule. Every swinging dick seems to need a waiver these days. That said, if you stop drinking milk and eating ice cream and cheese, your problem should go away and you won't need a waiver. I might have the same problem but since I don't eat or drink any of the above, I'll never know ;)

As for your grammar, using "it" to refer to "it" can get very confusing. Unless the reader knows to which it you refer the sentence is open to interpretation. Even MS Word can't do the heavy lifting if the words aren't there. After you write something, read it out loud. Does it make sense? Is what you wrote a complete sentence? If you can't do that then learn Spanish; maybe you can get a "no habla english" waiver.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Don't even ask them about a waiver. You won't get one and by asking you're giving them a reason to NPQ you. The guys who get waivers at the academy play football, and most of them are looking at a short stint as supply officers when they graduate.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Don't even ask them about a waiver. You won't get one and by asking you're giving them a reason to NPQ you. The guys who get waivers at the academy play football, and most of them are looking at a short stint as supply officers when they graduate.

How long did it take you to pull that out of your ass? I was not a varsity athlete and I got in with a medical waiver. And I'm a SNFO that plans on making a career out of the Navy. Check your info before you go posting "gouge".

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
How long did it take you to pull that out of your ass? I was not a varsity athlete and I got in with a medical waiver. And I'm a SNFO that plans on making a career out of the Navy. Check your info before you go posting "gouge".

Word. I went in with one waiver, graduated with at least 3.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Never go in under false pretenses. It not only shows a lack of integrity, but it will more than likely come back and bite you in the ass latter on.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Never go in under false pretenses. It not only shows a lack of integrity, but it will more than likely come back and bite you in the ass latter on.

I think alot of you misunderstood the intentions of my post, and I probably could have worded things differently. The "gouge" I got was from my dad, who was the dean of candidate guidance there for 3 years, so take it for what its worth...

My point was not to hide anything, but rather not bring something up if its insignificant. Why draw attention to a moot point? I think most of the other posts were in agreement with that. If drinking milk makes you sick, don't drink it. If it comes up somehow in the medical process, obviously be completely honest, but I saw a few guys get NPQ'ed because they made a big deal out of something pretty insignificant. One guy had a pilot slot, until he started going to medical for planters warts. Something he probably could have taken care of on his own (there was a whole thread on it here in fact). Instead they decided that it could be a reoccuring problem and NPQ'ed him.

Sure getting waivers is possible, but they just present a hurdle toward getting where you want to go and if its not necessary then why do it? Let me clarify, the majority of MAJOR waivers I saw (ie. Tuberculosis, Asthma, color blindness...) were for varsity athletes. The academy is designed to produce unrestricted line officers, so anyone that has a condition that precludes them from going unrestricted line is going to need a damn good reason that the academy wants them there.

Obviously I don't know the significance of this "condition." If coming in contact with any dairy product causes you to turn purple and die, then that is definitely something you want to make the academy (and most people that could potentially be serving you food) aware of. Its another story if you have painful explosive shits from drinking a glass of milk (as is my case:D).

In any case, I would never recommend that you do something that may compromise your integrity. If its something that you are trying to hide, then that is a whole nother story. Be completely up front and honest with them if they ask about it, but if they don't why bring it up?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
In any case, I would never recommend that you do something that may compromise you integrity. I don't see not pointing out something that is a non-issue(?) as a violation of your integrity. If its something that you are trying to hide, then that is a whole nother story. Be completely up front and honest with them if they ask about it, but if they don't why bring it up?
Now this I agree with. Good post.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
As to the question of getting a waiver -- waivers are supposed to be an exception rather than a rule. Every swinging dick seems to need a waiver these days. That said, if you stop drinking milk and eating ice cream and cheese, your problem should go away and you won't need a waiver. I might have the same problem but since I don't eat or drink any of the above, I'll never know ;)

As for your grammar, using "it" to refer to "it" can get very confusing. Unless the reader knows to which it you refer the sentence is open to interpretation. Even MS Word can't do the heavy lifting if the words aren't there. After you write something, read it out loud. Does it make sense? Is what you wrote a complete sentence? If you can't do that then learn Spanish; maybe you can get a "no habla english" waiver.

//threadjack: Not to further siderail this fine thread, but this is a link I found for you folks afraid of the grammar nazis on here, and also good for your AD types writing eval/fitreps.\\end threadjack