• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Can I apply to multiple branches at once?

Gustafel

Just the title. I turn 28 in September and I'm still losing weight to meet the standard. Since I'm getting a little up there I was wondering if I could hedge my bets by applying to multiple services at once? Possibly a dick move, but is it "against the rules?" I figure there are so many variables and random unpredictable factors and if possible I would like to just apply everywhere and just go for whoever picks me up first.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Just the title. I turn 28 in September and I'm still losing weight to meet the standard. Since I'm getting a little up there I was wondering if I could hedge my bets by applying to multiple services at once? Possibly a dick move, but is it "against the rules?" I figure there are so many variables and random unpredictable factors and if possible I would like to just apply everywhere and just go for whoever picks me up first.
Yes you can.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

Yes, you can presuming you qualify.

When in doubt ask your recruiter.

It's not a dick move at all, in fact, given how competitive OCS can be, I'd highly encourage you to apply to any branches you're interested in assuming you would happily commit to serving 4 years in that role (or however long) if selected. Now it would be a bit of a dick move if you were selected by one branch, but turned them down because you're still waiting to hear back from another branch you're more interested in.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Now it would be a bit of a dick move if you were selected by one branch, but turned them down because you're still waiting to hear back from another branch you're more interested in.
Back in the day an applicant had to have two officer interviews (other than recuiter) for all designators. Although it made little difference, we loved to ask a hypothetical on how this problem would be handled. Made a lot of quys squirm. Good fun.

FormerRecruitingGuru

It's not a dick move at all, in fact, given how competitive OCS can be, I'd highly encourage you to apply to any branches you're interested in assuming you would happily commit to serving 4 years in that role (or however long) if selected. Now it would be a bit of a dick move if you were selected by one branch, but turned them down because you're still waiting to hear back from another branch you're more interested in.

It’s not uncommon for applicants to shop services and open up options

HeartofTexas

Contributor
@Gustafel Definitely have some options. I've taken the ASTBE twice, once when I was looking to cross-branch into the Marines Aviation program (was AD Navy enlisted at the time) and then again a few years later when my 1306 kept experiencing mismanagement in the routing process and I applied for the Navy Pilot board. Wasn't picked up and was super close to my EAOS so I got out. I still want to fly for the military and since I was "free", I also have taken the Air Force's AFOQT and TBAS as well as the Army's SIFT test. If you have any questions about the tests or the different processes with any branch, active OR reserve, feel free to shoot me a message. I've spent the last year talking with AD and Reserve recruiters, NCOs, etc...

cjd131

Reviving this to ask if there is established etiquette for informing your own/other recruiters about having an active application elsewhere? As in, would it be the decent thing to let my Navy recruiter know that I am looking at other options, and if I go to those other options should I inform them that I am already far along in the Navy process? Or does it not matter?

The Navy is far and away my first choice and I don't have concrete plans to look anywhere else yet, but the designators I applied to are all competitive and I guess it's time to start fleshing out a Plan B...

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
Reviving this to ask if there is established etiquette for informing your own/other recruiters about having an active application elsewhere? As in, would it be the decent thing to let my Navy recruiter know that I am looking at other options, and if I go to those other options should I inform them that I am already far along in the Navy process? Or does it not matter?

The Navy is far and away my first choice and I don't have concrete plans to look anywhere else yet, but the designators I applied to are all competitive and I guess it's time to start fleshing out a Plan B...

If you went to MEPS already and submitted all your med docs (if needed/requested) with one branch(let say Navy). The other branch would pull those records from (the Navy). That’s just from my experience.

cjd131

Thank you for your response. Yes I have been through the whole process already for my Navy application—I now see that this is at least party a stupid question because "I already went to MEPS" would definitely come up at some point with recruiters from other branches. And I suppose there's no point in telling my Navy recruiter because if I get into Navy OCS I will definitely go, and if I don't she won't care what I do anyway.

This has been a good lesson in working things out in my head first! :)

FormerRecruitingGuru

This gets asked regularly. Same answer stands.

Ventus

Weather Guesser
pilot
I applied to Officer programs for the Navy, Air Force, and USMC all at the same time. Definitely possible. Also convenient if you have your security clearence interview done for one but not the others.

Air Force got back to me first. Selected me for CSO. Didn't want that. Navy got back to me second and offered me SNA so I jumped on it. By the time I heard back from the USMC I was already commissioned.