• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

can anyone decode this guys stats for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stlpilot

This guy "dhafeman" who posts on here, seems to be the last guy that got an SNA slot can anyone tell me what his stats mean Im new to this game and thought the ASTB abbreviations were as follows:

AGR, PFAR, FOFAR, PBI, FOBI, OAR but he posted this:

" as far as my scores go. I got an 8/9 on the qualifying test they gave me. "

I thought pilot applicants went by all the scoring sections, not just the two this guy has mentioned? By the way his post is under OCS then commissioning programs, then depth perception and flight physical. Thanks for any help.

leonsparx

FOFAR and FOBI are just for flight officers. if he is applying for an SNA slot they will not be reported. if i recall correctly, they both measure exactly the same thing--only the name is different (can anyone confirm this?)

FOBI/PBI are the flight officer and pilot biographical inventories. as of earlier this year they have been suspended, and are not currently considered as part of your app.

the two scores he mentioned are most likely the OAR (officer aptitude rating) and PFAR (pilot flight aptitude rating).

i said OAR: as noted below, this is incorrect. i meant AQR.

Stlpilot

Okay your saying one is OAR and the other is PFAR, but wouldnt that be a really really low OAR score? just wondering i could be way off. Thanks for the help

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No the first number is the AQR (read below) and the other is either PFAR or FOFAR.
ea6bflyr [^]

The following came from: http://navyrotc.mit.edu/www/aviation/astb.stm
--
1. The ASTB is a method used by the Aviation community to aid in
the selection of potential Naval Aviators and Naval Flight Officers. It
is based upon the characteristics of successful officers within the
Aviation community. It is a also very large part of your service
selection ranking against other potential aviators.

2. Q: What are these arbitrary grades?

A: Six scores are taken from your ASTB test. The first five
areas are graded on a curve with one (1) being the minimum score and
nine (9) being the highest.
These are the categories and possible scores:

AQR: Academic Qualification Rating 1 - 9
PFAR: Pilot Flight Aptitude Rating 1 - 9
FOFAR: Flight Officer Flight Aptitude Rating 1 - 9
PBI: Pilot Biographical Inventory 1 - 9
FOBI: Flight Officer Biographical Inventory 1 - 9
OAR: Officer Aptitude Rating 20 - 80

3. Q: What do they mean?

A: The three AQR, PFAR, and FOFAR scores predict future
performance. The PBI and FOBI scores predict attrition.

4. Q: How I fit in with my score?:

A: The AQR, PFAR, FOFAR, PBI, and FOBI scores fall within
certain stanines. Take a look at the following table to see where
you stand. If you can't figure out the statistics, your score was
probably not very good.

Stanine Number 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Percentage of test scores within stanine 4 7 12 17 20 17 12 7 4

LadyJayUSN

So, if I understand this correctly...you want to score high on AQR, PFAR, and FOFAR, but score low on the PBI and FOBI?

<I SWIM 'CAUSE I'M TOO DAMNED SEXY FOR SPORTS THAT REQUIRE CLOTHING>

Adrenaline Rush

pbi and fobi are the biographical index, they arent used anymore, i took my astb last week and i didnt even have to fill out the biographical index or aviation interest

radio_freq

I took the test Tuesday of this week and I still had to do the biographical and aviation portions. But when the administrator compiled my scores she did not grade these sections. She said she still had to make me take these sections though. Oh well just an extra 30 minutes to the test.
G

Stlpilot

I took it over a year ago so I got scored on everything and still waiting for my recruiter to dig em up, I guess their kept at headquaters? Thanks for the info otherwise.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, you want high scores on the AQR/PFAR/FOFAR and the OAR (Officer Apptitude Rating). The OAR is what gets you into OCS and the the rest are Aviation scores....
ea6bflyr [^]
Originally posted by LadyJayUSN
So, if I understand this correctly...you want to score high on AQR, PFAR, and FOFAR, but score low on the PBI and FOBI?

<I SWIM 'CAUSE I'M TOO DAMNED SEXY FOR SPORTS THAT REQUIRE CLOTHING>

Status
Not open for further replies.