• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Call the ball?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent00JP

I was talking to my flight instructor the other day about coordinated flight and he told me, "Just step on the ball." Of course he was referring to the ball in the turn coordinator, but what is it that they refer to in Navy operations as "call the ball?"

ie.
ATC-"Maverick you're at 3/4 of a mile. Call the ball."
Pilot-"Roger, Maverick has the ball."

Thanks in advance.

Agent00JP
webmaster
TheSprintSign.com

Edited by - Agent00JP on 03/31/2002 21:30:23

trap3wire

stepping on the ball in coordinated flight is following pressing the rudder pedal that the ball on your turn coordinator instrument is rolling toward.. HOWEVER "calling the ball" is when you are on final approach, the landing system next to the LSO station on the lower left side of the Carrier. The LSO asks you to "call the ball" meaning that when you are in sight of the "ball" (landing system) you say "roger ball" or whatever you need to say to signal to the LSO that you can see the landing system. I hope this helps.

FLY NAVY, RYAN

Let's Kick the Tires and Light the Fires....

Status
Not open for further replies.